Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Does anyone have any information regarding this location for the draw hunts?

Thanks in advance.

What dates? I’ll be there Nov 30-Dec 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
      What dates? I’ll be there Nov 30-Dec 2.

Dec 07-09

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
        Dec 07-09

I was selected for Dec 7-9 as well. looks like it could be a great hunt with up to 5 deer, turkey and hogs allowed.

do you know if tags will be provided for the deer, or do we need to utilize the tags that come on our annual hunting license?

also, rules state we can bring a friend. i'm going to call the NWR office to get the skinny on that side of the hunt.
        Last edited by topshot; 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I just read in another forum that we use our own tags here. Also, the antler restrictions depend on what unit you get randomly picked for. There are 3 counties and Williamson is the one with AR. Also, in the past there was a rule about having to harvest a doe or hog before being allowed to harvest a legal buck. Spike counts towards the doe.

Comment

I guess scouting is useless if don’t know where you’ll be hunting? Interested in the guest thing also. My wife might like to tag along.

Comment

Yes, we have to use our own tags. Maybe its different this year, but you can drive ATVs on this hunts. Park at the unit gates and can only enter from there. Each unit has its own entrance.

Comment

I would like to know what the hunter success rate is out here. Does anyone have any idea?

Comment

Buddy got drawn a couple years...? One year they stuck him in a blind next to the gut pile...no deer were seen at all. The following year he showed up late and got stuck in handicap blind...which turned out to be awesome...lots of deer and passed on a 10pt because he didnt get a good view of spread...some one else shot it and it was legal.

Comment

Fun and challenging place to hunt. Low success rates but worth it if you like a challenge. You can use an atv but have to stay on the roads so there's really no point. Also have to have the state issued ohv sticker on it. It's mainly compartment hunting so you bring your own stands but a few compartments have a box blind or two. I love hunting there. Good luck to all that drew.

Comment

Great landscape and a fun hunt that's worth the trip. But, success rates are very low. Very few turkeys on the units and deer density is very low. Much of the acreage is steep hillsides that nest a lot of birds but dont hold deer. Still, it's incredible scenery and great hiking and exploring with a chance to shoot a deer. My son shot a doe last year and missed the buck that was chasing her... but that was our only animal sighting in 3 days of incredibly hard dawn to dusk hunting with lots of miles hiked.

And the atvs are only allowable on the roads. Not necessary. Some of them were pretty steep (and super fun to drive) but a 4wd pickup was all you needed.

Comment

Got drawn for the Nov. 16 thru 18th hunt. Never been on this hunt. looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlacktailSlayer View Post
                          Got drawn for the Nov. 16 thru 18th hunt. Never been on this hunt. looking forward to it.
                          My son and I will be there as well. I'm stoked about this one. Hope there are decent hog populations around. I'm really glad because earlier in the day my daughter had drawn Martin dies in January. I was glad to see they balanced out. Good luck and see you there.

Comment

my convo with staff said the success rate is around 18 %, not many deer compared to other areas of the hill country.

some folks show up and kill nothing, others show up and shoot 2-4 deer each; it depends on if you are a feeder hunter or someone who can locate and set up on deer.

Comment

Working...
                            X