Matador rifle antlerless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador rifle antlerless

Just drew this hunt in the second draw. Myself and two buddies don’t have a lease this year so we put in for this hunt to fill the freezer. I usually go hunt muleys in northern New Mexico so I’m used to primitive camping and walking. Does anyone have any advice about this hunt? Which pasture would have the most whitetail does? With it so dry this year, are there areas that are better? Also one buddy is going to want to bring his tripod stand. Is that necessary or is it more still hunting and glassing? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matador rifle antlerless

The east portion is usually better or the far west side. I can say two years ago my brother and I spot and stalked and walked 13 miles but put 6 down in 24 hours from ‘go’. Deer are there but you have to hunt them. There is a lot of property to cover in each compartment so scouting and looking for sign is key

It was also 12 degrees that weekend so that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

East side first or far west side have most whitetail, and the other areas are mixed with mule deer. Far west side is about 45min of 4x4 road so make sure you come prepared. We have hunter there twice and never used a tripod as you probably better walking. I saw one place where it could be useful but mostly sit on ridge/hill or backup to tree.

Comment

Unless you just like walking and seeing country, no need to be real mobile for does at Matador. Hunted there a few years ago and got the far northwest pasture. Anywhere along the river in the morning or evening was a good spot for does. The more you move around the more you spook, just sit tight and there'll be plenty of deer. A cart for game retrieval is helpful, there is not a good road system in that compartment.

Comment

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I did search all the old threads before starting this one, but you never know when someone has some new info. I have a F150 4x4 with a small lift so I should be good there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard that cell service is not too good. How did any of y'all stay in contact with your buddies out in the field?

Comment

If you have AT&T as your provider, reception isn’t bad at all on top of the ridges/canyons.
              If you are down low in the bottom of canyons or draws, you won’t get reception at all. . Just climb out and up if you have to have it.
              I believe those with other carriers, at least a few years ago, had poor/spotty reception at best throughout a lot of the area. May have changed since then though.

If you are worried about constant communication with your buddies, two way radios may be the way to go.

Comment

Ok, I do have at&t and so do they. I was just thinking if one of us had a couple of animals down and needed help.

Comment

I used Verizon out there as well with not many issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X