Powderhorn WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn WMA

My daughter got drawn for either sex in November at Powderhorn. She is allowed 3 whitetail, an Axis, and a Sambar. Anybody hunted there before and have any tips for us? Thanks

No tips on that place, good luck

Comment

I think this is the first year they have had hunts there. Good Luck to your daughter.

Comment

Yup, first year they have opened it. I’m jealous... I know 10-12 years ago there was some impressive white tails on the ranch. Have seen Sambar from the road and axis in town. Should be a fun hunt.

Comment

My son and I were there last year through TYHP. There are plenty of whitetail! I saw a few Axis but they were skittish. The Sambar arent very smart and stick close to the salt water. Whitetail were spread out everywhere. Do you have an assigned comparntment or can you pick where you want to hunt. I saved a few spots in Huntstand when we were there, they told us they would open it up to draw hunts this year. PM if you have anything specific.

Comment

That should be a great hunt! I'm anxious to see yalls results! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
              My son and I were there last year through TYHP. There are plenty of whitetail! I saw a few Axis but they were skittish. The Sambar arent very smart and stick close to the salt water. Whitetail were spread out everywhere. Do you have an assigned comparntment or can you pick where you want to hunt. I saved a few spots in Huntstand when we were there, they told us they would open it up to draw hunts this year. PM if you have anything specific.

Thanks for the info! Not sure if it is assigned compartment or if they get to pick. Hopefully the hunt coordinator will email me soon with more details.

Comment

Let me know the coordinators name. Two of the guys that ran the place were with us for the TYHP hunt. Both were stand up guys. When you get some more info let me know and I would be glad to show you some things on a map. I also put in again through TYHP for Powderhorn with my youngest son. It isnt until December tho.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                  Let me know the coordinators name. Two of the guys that ran the place were with us for the TYHP hunt. Both were stand up guys. When you get some more info let me know and I would be glad to show you some things on a map. I also put in again through TYHP for Powderhorn with my youngest son. It isnt until December tho.
                  I certainly will and thanks again! We are really stoked about this hunt.

Comment

Congratulations brother! That was the one hunt I was dreaming about. Just to see a Sambar free range would've been worth the permit. Best of luck man!

Comment

They need to do an archery exotic hunt there next year, I'm tired of Garner being the only place listed for that category year after year. They need to bring back Devils River also as a hunt in the category.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
                        Congratulations brother! That was the one hunt I was dreaming about. Just to see a Sambar free range would've been worth the permit. Best of luck man!
                        I wouldn't call them free range. The entire place is high fenced. Granted it is 17,000 acres but it is high fenced on 3 sides.

An archery exotic hunt would be awesome there. Last year we were sitting in a pop up and had a huge trophy Sambar with in 10 yards of the blind. Never even looked at us. He was huge! I don't remember who was breathing louder the Sambar or my son sitting next to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X