Water tote questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water tote questions.

What do you guys,who use the big totes,do to prevent freezing,algea,and any other problems?We are installing one in 2 weeks and any info will be appreciated.I am going to paint it black.Also,what kind of line(pvc,hose) do you run from the outside in to the pump.Thanks.

I used pvc pipe for mine and painted black add some clorox to it it will keep the algae down I used mine for 2 years never had any issues.

Comment

never had any problem with freezing

Comment

Same with what KC said!

Comment

crazy question,

doesn't painting it black promote heat and thereby promote algae growth. bil and I were talking about it and candidly I didn't know

Comment

I still have the set up if anybody needs one, pipe and all.

Comment

I don't know the answer to that shaun I kept quite a bit of clorox in mine

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                crazy question,

doesn't painting it black promote heat and thereby promote algae growth. bil and I were talking about it and candidly I didn't know
                Not without light....

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                  crazy question,

I am not sure painting them black does any good.

I put the small floating chlorine tablet dealios in mine and whenever I fill them up I put 2-3 of the small tabs in the float.

So far it has worked well. Water doesn't smell like a pool but it has not grown any algae either. Just have to find the right balance using your nose!

I need to post pics of mine sometime but they are pretty simple to do.

I stack 3 regular pallets and then place the water tote on top.

The water trough is a 50 gallon job from TSC with an auto float valve that comes seperately on it.

I set the trough just under the opening of the tote. Pallets get the tote a few inches above the trough so gravity can take over.

From the drain valve on the tote I adapt to a male garden hose thread and use a 3' stainless steel washing machine hose to connect to the float valve.

These are all set up inside feed pens. The tote is up against the fence with the trough on the opposite side of the fence so cows cannot reach it.

We use a second tote to haul water to fill. Get a large gallon per hour 12v bilge pump to drop down into the top of the tote to pump water into the primary tote.

You can also use the same bilge pump to fill the mobile tote from any existing water source such as a cattle trough or concrete tank at a windmill or from a pond. Just try to keep the inlet of the pump suspended off the bottom so it does not suk up any crud. This is much faster than waiting on a regular garden hose to fill one up. Usually a hose will take at least 30 minutes where the pump version takes about 10.

One thing I have learned is to drill a small hole in the top of the 6" screw on lid. The lids are susposed to have a little built in valve to allow air in as the water drains out but if this relieve gets clogged the entire tote will get shrunk down to about 1/3 of its original size. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Another thing to consider is water weighs about 8.33 pounds per gallon.

Do the math but 275 gallons of water is heavy.

Comment

good info

Comment

mines been out a year. no issues.

Comment

We have had a 1500 gallon one out, this is going to be the 5th year and have not had a single problem with it... We pour bleach in it everytime we are up, normally every weekend during season, and drop some tablets in it on occasion... not a single problem

From the tank to the pump is all insulated... and from the pump to under the house is insulated in a pump house.... We have a blanket that is wrapped on the pump and the pipes are all covered...

In the 4 years out there, this was the first year that the pipes froze on the trailer house... EVERY pipe froze.... that week long freeze destroyed us..

Make sure you drain the lines and you should be good....

I can take pictures of our setup next time Im up there

Comment

I painted mine white to limit the light needed for some algae to grow. There are some non photosynthetic diatoms that can influence water clarity. I add clorox when I am there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I painted mine black and then got online and found this product:

The guy who sells this says it will keep the algae out and will keep the water potable for an indefinite period of time. I just started using it and so i do not have a review yet.

I tried the clorox thing but it seemed to make the shower water stink so bad it kind of netgated the scent-free aspct of the soap I use.

Bisch

Comment

I bought a Cooler Coverup to put on the Ozarka water cooler bottle at the office to keep algae from growing in the cooler. Ours looks like this...

Don't laugh, it works. In other words, you don't necessarily have to paint to keep it from growing algae. You can just cover it with something so that UV light doesn't get in.

Comment

Working...
                              X