"Sticky" Browning BPS Dura-Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sticky" Browning BPS Dura-Touch

I have a browning BPS with the Endurance-Touch finish that I bought new and use very little. The stock and forestock is very very sticky. I know I have not got any solvents or bug spray on it. Anyone else have this problem and possibly have a fix for it?

Jason

Bump

Comment

Seems to be several sticky stocks lately

Hope you get it figured out Jason

Comment

Thanks, if I don't I guess I can get an aftermarket stock for it. I only use it for duck and goose hunting and only get to do that once every 2-3 years. It is so sticky it grabs my cheek and makes shooting 3" and 3 1/2" shells even more uncomfortable than it usually is!

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
          Thanks, if I don't I guess I can get an aftermarket stock for it. I only use it for duck and goose hunting and only get to do that once every 2-3 years. It is so sticky it grabs my cheek and makes shooting 3" and 3 1/2" shells even more uncomfortable than it usually is!
          Both " sticky stock " guys should contact the makers. Aren't Browning and Winchester one and the same now ? Sounds like an epidemic !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Both " sticky stock " guys should contact the makers. Aren't Browning and Winchester one and the same now ? Sounds like an epidemic !
            I guess I missed the other post. I will look for it.

Comment

Yep really common with all browning and Winchester stocks. They have been having this problem on and off since the late 90s that i know of.

Comment

I now try my best to avoid anything with that rubberized kind of coating, as it always turns sticky like that. First it was my rangefinder. Then it was my "Parrot" hands free aftermarket system I put in my Ram truck. Then it was the knobs on the handle of my Pflueger spinning reels. If it has that rubberized / "soft touch" / "Dura-Touch" / etc... coating on it, you can guarantee it will turn sticky sooner or later.

I removed the coating from all of the aforementioned items with Lacquer thinner and a whole lot of elbow grease, followed by a rinse with soapy water (carefully on the electronics) and a final dry. The remaining surface is slick and shiny. Not what I wanted, but better than the sticky residue that I had to remove.

There's no fix for it, besides removing it or replacing it. Once it starts getting sticky, it's done. Plenty of posts about it online. Browning even has a post in their FAQ about damage to it being "irreversible and not repairable":

I'd look into a replacement set from Boyds.

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Local gun shop sent my Maxus back to the factory and replaced stock and forearm and didn't cost me a dime. Took about 2 months though.

Comment

I have had very good experiences with Browning Customer Service as well, so rjj has a good point. It never hurts to see what they will do for you. Call them up and be super nice. You might end up with a replacement stock, or at the very least, a discount on a replacement.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

I had the same problem on a Gold 10 Auto, sent it back to Browning and they replaced the entire gun this was 2 years ago.

Comment

What causes this? It happened to my rangefinder, the cuffs on my Helly Hansen rain jacket, and several pairs of sunglasses, none of which came in contact with any solvents or chemicals. I'm guessing it is caused by UV or ozone?

Comment

I had the same problem on a silver shotgun...Browning is stripping it and refinishing it...free... It will take 8 months, and I am scheduled to get my gun back in December

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                            What causes this? It happened to my rangefinder, the cuffs on my Helly Hansen rain jacket, and several pairs of sunglasses, none of which came in contact with any solvents or chemicals. I'm guessing it is caused by UV or ozone?
                            Heat, most likely. I doubt it's UV. My rangefinder spends most of it's time in my pack, inside it's own little pouch, surrounded by a bunch of other stuff. It only gets exposed when I need to use it, and that hasn't been much over the years. But one day when I needed it, on a particularly hot day, I pulled it out of the pouch and it was all gummy. To the point the coating was getting on everything. Very sticky.

I had sunglasses years ago that had the same coating on them, and it started flaking off. I'd come home from fishing and I'd have black flakes from the glasses somewhere stuck to my face. When I contacted the manufacturer, they told me to "keep them away from sunscreen, because that will affect the finish." I told them that was ridiculous. Most of the time, people wearing sunglasses while fishing are wearing sunscreen!!! They warrantied the pair, but it just happened again a short time later to the replacements.

All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

This appears to be a problem with several of their firearms with the dura-coat. It's happening to my a-bolt which lives in a gunsafe in the house and has never been touched with a solvent. I've heard (in other forums) about it on their shotguns and x-bolts. The reported experience with Browning customer service varies greatly. Some guys reported clear-coating the sticky stock with some kind of clear paint but I can't see how that would last if the stock itself is disintegrating.

Comment

Working...
                              X