Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newish to teal hunting

I've been ducking hunting for the past 2-3 years now around houston mainly
    With my friend who guides in the el campo area, and have slowly started to branch out and hunt on my own to learn more. The problem is I am now at Baylor in Waco and feel like im starting all over and need to re learn duck hunting this area cause it is so different then the rice lands around houston. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for water to look for around the waco area (not the places themselves but types of spots) that teal or ducks look for in central texas so I can try and get a foothold to start from. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ttt

Comment

There are several USACE lakes in the area that allow hunting. Go on their website and start doing your research and start scouting. Good luck.

Comment

I hunted in and around Waco for 7 years when i was at Baylor and after i graduated and still hunt there with my friends a lot, there are some hidden gems but you will have to look for them and the good spots require boats, or a long walk, the Corps lakes in the area are a good place to look and start doing the scouting and leg work.

Having family land in Eagle lake and rice fields, i can tell you it is a totally different type of hunting more open water, wooded areas, creeks, ponds from the lakes going down and gravel pits were always good

There is some good hunting just have to work at it, early Teal was always hit or miss, the past couple years we have had tons of Pintails, and red heads. Later season you get the Mallards, and also Wood ducks, and lots of Greenwing teal.

Shoot me a DM i won't give you the honey holes, but i can give you a tip or two
        Last edited by centex85; 09-02-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

What you are looking for is flat shallow areas with vegetation.

Comment

Originally posted by HTDUCK View Post
            What you are looking for is flat shallow areas with vegetation.
            What he said. There are an abundance of cattle tanks in that area that I bet would hold some teal if you can get a hold of the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
              What he said. There are an abundance of cattle tanks in that area that I bet would hold some teal if you can get a hold of the owner.
              He will struggle with that being a college kid and not a local. Most everyone hunts their own cattle tanks around there, and have been burned to many times by college kids not taking care of the area.

Comment

Working...
              X