Colorado Second Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Second Season

I'm hunting Elk second season in Co this year and have a question about boots. I'm not going to use my normal Rocky's as I don't trust them and looking at purchasing new boots. How concerned should I be about insulation? I know weather is sketchy but if I'm hiking around, good socks and gaiters do I need insulation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Which part of Colorado? This will influence the input you get on this. Last year I hunted SW CO and 2nd season was 30 overnight and 70s during the day. I could have wore flip flops and been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jdavis9753 View Post
      Which part of Colorado? This will influence the input you get on this. Last year I hunted SW CO and 2nd season was 30 overnight and 70s during the day. I could have wore flip flops and been fine.

Unit 77. It's Late October so I could be in shorts or skis.

Comment

I wouldn’t wear insulated, I made that mistake a few years back. Get a good waterproof boot, and pack good thermal socks.

Comment

Well it’s unlikely you need skis lol.
          75/751 is right next to your hunting area and I never wore insulated boots in the last 7 years hunting there from 10-12k elevation.
          If you do want a boot recommendation I will say I like the Crispi boots. There is almost zero break-in period and has a generous sole width (even in non-wide sizing). I have wore them exclusively for the last 2 years after having prior experience with Lowa & Zamberlan boots. I also bought the insulated Crispi boot this summer...planning to use for a late season hunt.
          Best of luck this fall!

Comment

Back when I went up into the mountains I wore Danner. I have never had any issues with them nor did my buddy. I even had an insulated pair which worked great.

Danner boots are a mark of superior craftsmanship, Our hiking, hunting, work, military, and law enforcement boots are built with GORE-TEX waterproof liners, durable Vibram outsoles, and full-grain leather.

Comment

I would go non insulated for sure if you plan on walking

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                Back when I went up into the mountains I wore Danner. I have never had any issues with them nor did my buddy. I even had an insulated pair which worked great.

http://www.danner.com/men/hunt/?sortId=product-family
                Same here. I think 600 grams

We hunted second season the last 2 or 3 times and one 3rd. Sometimes no snow and one time it didnt get over 17 for 3 days. Never an issue. What i found was if you get cold, get up and walk 100 yards.

Gaiters do help. That or gortex type pants over your boot.

Comment

I have Kenetrek uninsulated. Most folks told me with a good pair of wool socks, they are good to about 0 degrees. They all said make sure whatever you do, waterproof the crap out of them. Otherwise you will be miserable.

I would go uninsulated, but with a quality boot like Mendls, Kenetreks, Chrispi's, or Schnee's.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    I have Kenetrek uninsulated. Most folks told me with a good pair of wool socks, they are good to about 0 degrees. They all said make sure whatever you do, waterproof the crap out of them. Otherwise you will be miserable.

I would go uninsulated, but with a quality boot like Mendls, Kenetreks, Chrispi's, or Schnee's.
                    Awesome. I have a pair of uninsulated Scarpa so I'll look at the other equivalent brands as a second pair.

Comment

Working...
                    X