Cheap ATV drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap ATV drag

My son wanted to put in a new food plot so about 3 weeks ago, he sprayed an area with round up. Then he thought about renting a tiller because the plot is not accessible to my tractor. After looking into the cost to rent ($150 for the weekend and knowing he only needed it for a few hours), he came up with this idea.

He took an 8' 4x6, cut it in half, and pre-drilled holes on the 4" side to hold 8" spikes (nails). The pre drilling made driving the spikes much easier.

Then he ran three 3' all thread to connect the two 4x6's. He put eye bolts, again, all of the way through the leader board and fastened 3/8" chain.

Then he drove the spikes in. I'll post pics in a few minutes. He said he cost was $60, but he already had the all thread and chain. It worked great!
    Last edited by Dusty Britches; 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM.

The first pic has the spikes up. The second is after he dragged it. He said it works best with added weight toward the front. He also said he had to clean it out as the spikes filled with debris but that was real easy.
    Attached Files

Comment

If you look behind the tree on the left, you will see what the area used to look like. Thick with deer peas, goat weed, and bull nettle.

Comment

good idea

Comment

That looks awesome. Surprised the nails didn't fold over. Best part about it is he can use it again for free vs if he had rented, he'd have to again next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow that's impressive for such a simple drag.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the round up spray made everything brittle. The spikes are between 1/4" - 1/2" in diameter, so they are pretty stout, and they are sticking out 4".

Comment

I'm impressed. I disc'd my 2 acre field last week, didn't gly it....but it didn't look anywhere near as good.

Comment

Good deal, made it work well for such a small area!

Comment

Great idea. I used chain link fence withsome angle iron for weight for years to cover the seed, but never to break the ground.

Gonna be a good plot.

BP

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Slick, Slick, Slick! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

How did he weight it down, especially toward the front?

How big is the area (roughly?) and how long did it take to till? I am sure the round-up helped immensely.

Comment

Comment

I would have been worried about it not being heavy enough, but it looks like it worked pretty dang good. Cool build and should have a nice little plot......if we ever get some much needed rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X