Another towing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another towing Question

I asked the green screen about a towing question i had last week and am here for some more wisdom. I currently have a lifted chevy 1500 with 35s and 4in lift, but made the mistake of not regearing, so pulling my new bass boat is horrible. I've been thinking about replacing the truck for something that pulled better, but not really anything nicer. I saw a 2011 2500 HD online that I liked, but realized its gas. So I have some questions:

whats yall opinion on the towing ability of the chevy 3/4 ton, but with a gas engine

How would it compare to a regular 1/2 ton?

How would it compare against a diesel 3/4 ton?

And this one will start some debates, but which 1/2 ton do yall think tows the best?

If you pull a lot go with the 3/4 ton diesel...they pull and stop better than 1/2's also diesels last so much longer. Just my .02

Comment

Cant dont have experience with the others but my 2011 f150 with the 5.0 v8 tows my 28' travel trailer great. It has the tow package, trailer brake and integrated sway control. Has 3.73 gears. I do use weight distribution hitch and one sway bar when towing it. I think empty weight is 6400#

Comment

Why not regear your truck?

Comment

Unless your truck is very high mileage, why not just re-gear your truck? If you just want a newer truck, then they all tow a bass boat just fine, even the little v-6's. A loaded bass boat should weigh less than 4k lbs, so not sure why even your lifted/large tired 1500 can't do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Unless your truck is very high mileage, why not just re-gear your truck? If you just want a newer truck, then they all tow a bass boat just fine, even the little v-6's. A loaded bass boat should weigh less than 4k lbs, so not sure why even your lifted/large tired 1500 can't do the job?
            X2

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
              X2

I was going to ask the same thing.

How much does it cost to re-gear a 4x4 truck PROPERLY these days?

Comment

Had my jeep re geared for $1,500.00

Comment

Re-gear it if that's as heavy as your towing....

Comment

I was thinking about re gearing it, but I think its gonna have more issues down the road soon, and would feel better off getting a truck that isn't lifted and more designed for towing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I was going to ask the same thing.

How much does it cost to re-gear a 4x4 truck PROPERLY these days?
                      $2000.00+ depending on what you want to do and which parts you choose to use.

Comment

Well if you end up getting a newer chevy get the 07 or newer with the 6 speed tranny. The 07 an older in the previous body had a horrible towing tranny gear ratio. The 6.0 in those trucks will haul butt but once you hook up they are gas suckin slow pokes.

Comment

good advice

Comment

My dad has had 2 6.0 3/4 ton Chevys and they both tow great. The fuel mileage is fantastic but they pull really good.

Comment

The 6.0 is good motor. Should be plenty to tow a bass boat. No gas motor will compare to a diesel on towing.

Comment

Working...
                              X