Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v8s10ac View Post
    Was out scouting a new area and walked up on two stands what should i do about it anything?
    How old were the stands? Was there fresh marking tape near it?

I've seen some old rickety wooden stands out there. I actually like finding those. Newer stands, not so much. Me personally, I note the location and move on.

Seeing flagging is the more interesting find in my opinion. Lots of different ways to read those.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      How old were the stands? Was there fresh marking tape near it?

I've seen some old rickety wooden stands out there. I actually like finding those. Newer stands, not so much. Me personally, I note the location and move on.

Seeing flagging is the more interesting find in my opinion. Lots of different ways to read those.
      They looked like they been there since last season two ladder stands I figured that they used them and just never came back to get them
      Last edited by v8s10ac; 06-20-2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by v8s10ac View Post
        They looked like they been there since last season two ladder stands I figured that they used them and just never came back to get them
        Either never came back or don't know or care about the regs and lefy them there on purpose. Hard to tell.

Comment

I report them. Of course nothing probably comes from it, but at least you did your job. I note the location, and think of why they have stands there. Maybe a good spot?

On flagging tape, I like to think of the different possibilities. Where they going? Where they been? In the off season I will follow flagging tape to see where it goes, and why. I am more reclusive with my markers.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
            I am more reclusive with my markers.
            You like to leave little dmacks near trees along the way

Comment

I guess I'm the bad guy.b

I take old flagging down.
              I may or may not have re-routed some flagging tape to go somewhere it wasn't initially supposed to go....like in a big circle.

Again, I may or may not have done that.

I don't mark many trails or locations. I do like to mark my tree ( and I do it in a very different way)

Ok, y'all can bash me now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                I guess I'm the bad guy.b

I take old flagging down.
                I may or may not have re-routed some flagging tape to go somewhere it wasn't initially supposed to go....like in a big circle.

Again, I may or may not have done that.

I don't mark many trails or locations. I do like to mark my tree ( and I do it in a very different way)

Ok, y'all can bash me now.

Your an awful person. How could you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I consider flagging as littering. Picking up trash left in nature is a noble thing to do.

Comment

I consider flagging as littering. Picking up trash left in nature is a noble thing to do.
                    I like the way you think.

Comment

That's interesting. I can't stand a person that litters but never really thought of flagging. Then again, I only use a small piece for a turn off or for a particular tree. I take them out later. However I have seen some people flag ever 10 feet for a hundred yards.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                        That's interesting. I can't stand a person that litters but never really thought of flagging. Then again, I only use a small piece for a turn off or for a particular tree. I take them out later. However I have seen some people flag ever 10 feet for a hundred yards.
                        Temporarily putting up a very small strip on one turn and eventually removing it is one thing. But I have seen plenty of folks lay out what looks like a path of birthday party streamers every 10 yards. It looks ridiculous and trashy.

A hunter should be able to place some small markers out of casual sight that pretty much blends in unless you are the hunter that knows were to look.

I personally like the reflective tacks.

Comment

I like the tacks also. They work awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally like the reflective tacks.
                            I like the tacks too, but going in the woods in the morning people can't miss the tacks. I am thinking about putting a couple tacks up in my selected tree. This way I don't get turned around in all the pines, but no one will notice unless they are looking up in the tree at night. What do you guys think.

Comment

Yeah, I try my best to put the tack up as high on the trunk as possible. It serves 2 purposes. First undergrowth can get high enough to cover your tack over time. Second, most people aren't looking up with their lights... usually eye level and down at the ground, so I figure it is harder to see.

If it were me, and I was using a climber, and I was pinning the one tree that I wanted to climb, I would put 4 tacks up at my tree stand level. One facing every direction. That way, if I walk past it, or behind it, etc. I can find it.

Before I got on a lease, and the one year I had a climber... I only climbed during evening hunts and I never did find a tree I liked enough to mark for later.... so take my advise for what it is worth

Comment

Yeah, I use a climber, so I am gonna go that route this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X