A great practice tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great practice tool

Yesterday I was practicing with my bareshaft arrow to work on my form. After getting tired of repeatedly walking back and forth to fetch one arrow out of the target I decided to make 5 more bareshafts that are identical to my fletched arrows so I'd have 6 and could shoot a group before having to walk to the target to pull them.

I gotta say - this is a great way to improve your shooting (shoot groups with bareshafts that is). They will amplify every form error you make and allow you to see what minor changes actually do to your shot. For example, if you grip the bow handle slightly different it causes the bareshaft to react consistently a different way. Individual finger pressure on the string also has an enormous effect on the impact point of the shot.

After tinkering with the bareshafts for many groups and getting my hand position and finger pressure consistent to where the bareshafts grouped really well, I then shot my fletched arrows.

Holy - Moly!!! My groups were tighter than they have ever been (even though I already shot really tight groups before)!

You gotta try this! Make 6 bareshafts that are just like your hunting arrows buy leave the fletching off. Practice shooting them until you are grouping them really well then go back to your fletched shafts. You will be amazed by the improvement you'll see.

The key is - you gotta have several bareshafts and shoot them for groups (I made 6).

WOW!

I'm sure it would help tremendously. But then all my arrows would be un-fletched.

Comment

To clarify - I was shooting at 20 yards and forced myself to get around 4" groups with 6 bareshafts (this is not easy). You gotta be extremely mindful of every little form factor (stance, grip on bow, anchor, individual finger pressure on string, release, and follow through).
      You realize by doing this excercise with bareshafts exactly how much little changes make in where your arrow impacts. After forcing myself to focus so much on every little thing in order to group bareshafts tightly - I was grouping my fletched shafts like I can out of my compound with sights. Arrows often touching each other.
      I'm going to make this a normal part of my practice routine. Warm up with bareshafts so I truly focus on form - then end it with excellent groups with fletched shafts.
      This is great.

Comment

I need to build a big target so that I can do stuff without worrying about missing the little 16" block or 24" bag. It's tough not to worry about shooting in new heads or trying something like you're doing with only a small target.

Comment

You're absolutely right - you need to be able to relax so you can focus on your form, and not worry about missing the target.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            I need to build a big target so that I can do stuff without worrying about missing the little 16" block or 24" bag. It's tough not to worry about shooting in new heads or trying something like you're doing with only a small target.
            LOL! I built a 2'x3.5' target with a 5'x8' backstop so that I could practice without cranking my arrows into the neighbors yard.

OP I like the idea of shooting bare shafts for practice and might have to give it a go. I'll sure as heck not start out at 20 yards though.

Richard.

Comment

My buddies son in law built one out of the fiber board used for expansion joints in concrete. He made layers of it. Comes in 4' widths. He cut strips and has a 2x12 top and bottom with rods on each end to compress it. I'm thinking of making it with a cable system using turn buckles to compress it.

Comment

That would be ideal for an arrow backstop.
                I bought several sheets of 3/4" treated plywood and placed them in various places in my backyard behind all of my targets. My yard is like a shooting course (7 yellow jacket bag targets, two large block targets, a rinehardt deer, rimehardt block, and a 3d pig.). Since I have them against different fences throughout my yard I places sheets of plywood behind them all. Great for stopping your arrow - but a pain in the *** the get an arrow out when the point gets buried into the plywood. I've broken some trying to remove them.

Comment

I usually unscrew the point then deal with it separate from the arrow. I have a long yard but really only one practice place so a big stationary target would work fine.

Comment

I'd love to have multiple targets around the yard but finances won't allow that just yet. Over at the neighbors place he has a big shed as his backstop but had to stop shooting there as he's gone through the old plywood (it's weathered as heck and was never treated) and hit things on the shelves inside.

Richard.

Comment

Good advice. As someone said on another thread lately: feathers lie.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

I will certainly be using this technique after I have finally nailed down the proper arrows for my two bows.

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
                        X