Sierra Diablo Gun Mule Deer Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sierra Diablo Gun Mule Deer Hunt

So I just found out my dad and I were drawn for 2 of the 4 permits @ Sierra Diablo for the Gun Mule Deer Hunt (Dec.1-4). Of course I have never hunted here, so do any of you TBH'ers out there have advice or some direction to give prior to this hunt. I will do a lot of last minute research (digging through past threads) once I return home, but I will not be back for another week or so (currently on buisness out of the county and service is hit or miss). Thanks in advance!

Good luck, I am sure yall will have a great time, especially with your Dad. Keep us updated on the results. Did you win on the 1st or 2nd draw?

Comment

It's rough country and a long way from town. Take good boots and everything you might possibly need. Fun place to hunt.

Comment

Congradulations!!!! Me and my two sons got drawn 2 years ago for the youth doe hunt. They both got sick and we did not make the hunt, but I did gather some intel on the place. Like Shane said it is ROUGH county. Its a 2 hours drive down the gravel road to just get to the camp area. you have to have 4x4 and bring spare tires. It gets cold!!! I met one of the guys who also got drawn for the same hunt as we did and he told me after the hunt it got down to 10 degrees both nights. Do some "scouting" on google earth and you will find "guzzlers". They are watering stations that look like small silver squares. I was told a good place to start looking for deer. On the doe hunt I was told that no one had to go further than 300 yards to fill thier doe tag, so who knows.

We drove out to Van Horn and spent the night before the hunt...that is where both of my sons came down with a stomach bug that took us out of the hunt, and there is not much there. The closest pharmacy was 2 hours away. So what ever you need make sure you take it with you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Has anyone ever harvested a Bull Elk there? Even see any? All I hear of is Mule Deer.

Comment

Congrats and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chick View Post
              Has anyone ever harvested a Bull Elk there? Even see any? All I hear of is Mule Deer.
              There is elk there. I think they allow harvest of any elk there if you are deer hunting. They will be tough though, as they have split from cows. Some of the bigger elk are 350 plus....great genetics.

Comment

I know there are Elk in the area, but is anyone harvesting any?

Comment

Originally posted by Chick View Post
                  I know there are Elk in the area, but is anyone harvesting any?
                  Yes, on private land, not sure on TPWD hunts though.
                  Last edited by wtx223; 11-30-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Drove in to Van Horn last night (9.5 hrs). Woke up this morning and met up with the other 2 hunters and the TPWD rep. Made the 2 hr drive down some rough backroads to camp. Got everything set up and now out hunting. It is pretty windy and 34 degrees. We've already seen 5 doe and a yearling while going through our compartment, now setup overlooking ALOT of ground! The archery hunt last month shot 2 cows, but no mule deer or bull elk. Hoping to see some horns shortly. I am shocked that I have service, I have verizon but I am up pretty high. If I have any action I'll post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhnt247 View Post
                      Drove in to Van Horn last night (9.5 hrs). Woke up this morning and met up with the other 2 hunters and the TPWD rep. Made the 2 hr drive down some rough backroads to camp. Got everything set up and now out hunting. It is pretty windy and 34 degrees. We've already seen 5 doe and a yearling while going through our compartment, now setup overlooking ALOT of ground! The archery hunt last month shot 2 cows, but no mule deer or bull elk. Hoping to see some horns shortly. I am shocked that I have service, I have verizon but I am up pretty high. If I have any action I'll post it.
                      Good luck. Weather is supposed to be nice next few days. Always breezy this time of year, but gonna warm up. Glass in mornings and afternoons. Walk ridgelines during day. What compartment you draw?

Comment

Was a 4WD really needed, or would any high clearance truck work ok?

Comment

I wish I could, That sounds like fun.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

tag

Comment

Working...
                              X