Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great story Mark... she (Sacagawea) starts her life and journey off right!

Comment

Great story Mark.

The bow is assembled and in my hands now and I'm looking forward to shooting it today.

Comment

Great story and pics!

Comment

Any updates, Ron?

Bisch

Comment

Cool post Mark! I found out things about you that I never knew by reading this thread (bio). Outstanding concept with the bow and log book. Sacagawea is beautiful.

Comment

Great write up Chunky. I wished I would have gotten a little more involved in the Sacagawea saga. I would have donated all the wood for this prized posession of many men. I guess in a way I am since the wood was bought from my shop yet not donated. My wish is that all the hands that touch her gain renewed spirit and continued sucess. Congrats on the good beginnings.

Comment

I have enjoyed shooting Sacagawea since I received her. She is a beauty and is pleasure to shoot, just like all of Bob's bows.
                I took her out of the box at the end of January and got her all assembled and ready to shoot. ( I thought) She has two strings and only I would grab the wrong one (LOL) and send a arrow right over the target and into a cedar fence. Not an uncommon error, the fence is perforated from miscues, the good thing is that it's only open pasture behind it. Well I just go get the arrow and decide maybe I should be a few yards closer to the target, at least till I can get this figured out The second shot wasn't much better than the first, but it stayed in the target.

I put her down and picked up one of my regular bows and let an arrow fly, dead on the money. It's time to delve into this a little deeper. I begin to rummage through all of the items that Chunky had so carefully packaged and low in behold, here's another string with double nocks. This must be the one that was used.

I put that string on and let another arrow fly, almost a perfect hit She's now happy and me too.

I have shot her with the carbon arrows that belong to her and also some woodies that I had for one of the Superstitions, I normally shoot. She like those too and she is a hoot to shoot. I even shot here in the FSC last week, but I hit the target about three inch's under where I was looking and missed a good chance at one of Ms.Deb's famous pies.

She's been fun, but I'm going to get her packed up and ready for her next adventure

Comment

good shooting Ron whos next

Comment

Originally posted by meangene1969 View Post
                    whos next
                    Uncle Saggy

Comment

Ron,

Sorry, I should have told you which string I used. I had to nock a little higher than Bob did to get good flight. I added the brass nocking point.

If you feel comfortable sharing, I would like to read a little archer's bio about you. Also, please take a pic or two before you ship the bow off to add to this thread.

Let me know when you do get it shipped, so that I can keep track of things.

Glad you enjoyed shooting her, you are now a part of her history.

Comment

Well Chunky, I'm not much of a writer and you set the bar pretty high, but I'll give it a whirl.

I did add a picture the the scrapbook about the FSC and my shot. The string thing wasn't a problem. I thought it was funny. Here you are killing with that wonderfully bow and I couldn't hit the target at all. It was not a problem.

Ron

Comment

Looking forward to the write up. Looking forward to her showing up here!

Ron, PM returned

Comment

keep the updates coming

Comment

Hello my name is Ron Jones, with the cleverly thought out aka "Ron" for you folks on the green screen. I live and work in Ennis, TX with my beautiful wife, Lupe. Yes, we both work in the same office and are together pretty much 24/7.

I was born in Olton, Texas, just outside of Plainview and lived in four different states before I got out of grade school.Most of my childhood was spent in Amarillo and Ennis. I graduated High School in my junior year, because I didn't like attending school, at all.

I attended college off and on over the years and my major was in business management and science engineering, but I never graduated. I got married instead and quickly had two children that needed to be taken care of. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Then a third child years later, but that angel is a long story. He became a real angel at the age of 18 and took a good bit of me with him.

I worked at a couple of different jobs and each time I would quickly become a supervisor or foreman. Too me this meant long hours and no overtime, so after a while I would go find something else. This put me where I am today. I work for a company in Ennis,TX that makes agricultural, and home and garden protection products.
                              When I started here, it was the perfect job, just one of the guys and a year later Shift Manager. Not again, yep, a year later Plant Manager, then two years later Vice President and Director of Manufacturing. Now 30 years later, the same title and about 250 wonderful people to work with everyday. I guess the good Lord wanted me to be someones boss

I began archery at a very early age (5). My Mother worked half a day and she would drop me off at the YMCA while she was at work. They taught me how to swim, how to shoot a rifle, tennis, golf, and archery. The archery stuck.

Much like Chunky, my parents did not hunt or participate in outdoor sports so I dreamed about these things and read all I could get ahold of concerning hunting and fishing. We then moved to Ennis when I was 10 and I spent time with my PaPa.
                              PaPa was a quail hunter and a duck hunter, finally someone to teach me the ropes. He loved me to go with him, although I think he just liked trying to walk me to death behind those dogs. I finally got to shoot with him when I turned 12 and he gave me a shotgun. This was a double barrel 12 gage, that whipped me good, but I wouldn't tell him or he would have never quit teasing me. He loved to aggravate, but I loved him so much it didn't bother me like the rest of his grandkids.
                              During this same period I had my Bear fiberglass recurve. I would stalk the hundreds of cottontails that lived around town. They were mostly at the Cemetery, but they closed the gates early and I would go hunt them up. You can put up a pretty good spot and stalk between the trees and the grave stones. I know that sounds pretty bad right now, but I didn't think nothing of it back then.
                              I have continued hunting with a bow all these years and in the eighties I bought a compound. It was so ugly, but oh so smooth and I thought it would make hunting better. I continued hunting and harvesting deer and other game with a bow over the years, but when rifle season came on, I would put it up and grab a gun.
                              In 2000, I was able to go bear hunting with a bow and I was pumped. I went to Alberta, up close to the North-West Territories. It was a good hunt and I was able to kill two bears with my bow, the gun was no longer much fun.
                              I've bow hunted totally for several years and last January 2011, I decided to go traditional only. I have enjoyed it everyday as well as the opportunity to get to know some great people who have the same love for traditional as myself. I also get to meet a lot of newcomers to archery as a Bowhunter Education Instructor.

I hope the pictures work, but if not I'll try again.
                              Last edited by Ron; 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Try again on the pic, Ron!!!!!

Good read too!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X