First Point Pastures and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Point Pastures and tips

This year will be my third hunt at First Point and I'm looking for successes and failures while hunting there and your ideas on best pastures to hunt. I'm taking my father this year and I would really like to see him get a nice buck. And well if the good lord agrees maybe one for me as well.

What I've learned so far:
    -Be very respectful and Mike will tell you where he has been seeing the big deer on the feed routes
    -Know what a mature deer is before you go. Don't be the guy that shoots the 1.5 y.o. 8pt. with great potential
    -High pressure hunting so really hit you scent eliminators ie washing your camo, spray, soap etc. and get ready to hunt smart deer
    -Aim a little low they jump strings bad (My buddy shoots Hoyt X-Tec pushing right at 300 f.ps. and a shooter ducked him at < 30yards) This guys groups are the size of a twist off lid at 40 yards consistant

-Natural brush blinds have worked the best for me so far ( 1 shooting window with 2 set up windows)(bring a good pair of gloves and long sleeve shirt to help cut down on the bleeding)
    -They picked up on my pop-up like crazy and yes I spent some serious time brushing it in.
    -Tripods didn't work for the people I hunted with but never tried mine.
    South TX so nothing to hang your tree stand off of except for light poles

-C'mere deer powder worked well last year mixed with my slow down corn

I had a lot of hogs in #11 pasture and saw three shooters. 1 140+ close to where mike told he'd been seeing a big one

I would greatly appreciated any info from ya'll and hope mine helps as well
    Last edited by OUTDOORSMANEVERETT; 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM.

Dig a pit blind at the base of some brush,Im talking deep 3 1/2
    to 4' deep. Make sure you have plenty of room to move around.
    And every thing you just wrote !

Chuck

Comment

2nd the pit blind. I shot the buck in my avatar there from a pit blind. He didn't score well but he was 5.5yo and was the man of the pasture. Nancy had shot a little better buck on the same road, and the wind was wrong for it so I built mine across the road from her's...and it worked. I had deer within about 5 feet of the blind. Two different hunts and pastures and I have had bucks actually walk up to the blind and look into it. I hold still and they carry on as if I wasn't even there. PIT BLINDS WORK!!!
      Dig an area deep enough for your feet and then a bench to sit on. I build mine in a small clump of brush that is only about 1.5-2.5 feet off the ground. The bucks tend to like the short brush and don't feel threatened by it. I pick one that does not have a lot of brush around it, just a clump by it's self.

Comment

Thanks guys. I forgot about digging the pits. Another hunter out there told me about that sitting around the fire two years ago.

Comment

I have only been once, last year and will be back this January. The deer are way smart. I had good luck sitting in the brush, flat on the ground on my butt with one shooting hole straight out in front. Set up holes are a must. I had a nice shooter come in from a direction I couldnt see well and by the time I figured out he was a shooter, he was already past my shooting hole. If the doe and young bucks come by without seeing you, the big boys will as well. The deer there have a great ducking ability as you said. We had two guys miss bucks and one guy wound one last year with a high shoulder shot. One of he guys said his shot was 34 yards, he aimed considerably low, and by the time the arrow got there, the buck was laying on its side and he missed by 18". Nice place chances to kill a really good deer.

Comment

Working...
          X