Question for builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for builders

We have a screened in porch with a metal roof and it gets really hot as there is no insulation. I was thinking about putting the typical pink stuff up there, but then I would have to panel over it. The wife likes the exposed rafters, so what products are available that will help with the heat that won't necessarily need to be covered with paneling or something?

How deep are the rafters? You could put up a bit of the pink foam board and do the paneling over that with it between the rafters.. You may lose an inch or two of rafter but the rest would stay exposed. Won’t cut down the heat as much but it should cut it a bit. You could also put spray foam on top. Won’t look as nice from the exterior though if you can see it from the ground. There is also a white product used to coat metal mobile home roofs that you could coat on top of the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Restaurant style open rafter and spray foam. Spray paint black or whatever once dragged and dry.

Comment

Save your money and time and just get a better fan.

Comment

I'd do a radiant barrier and better fans. Very little if any benefit in insulating an unconditioned space (other than sound suppression).

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
            I'd do a radiant barrier and better fans. Very little if any benefit in insulating an unconditioned space (other than sound suppression).
            So why do we insulate metal buildings? I know my insulated shop is much cooler than my buddies that's not insulated.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
              So why do we insulate metal buildings? I know my insulated shop is much cooler than my buddies that's not insulated.
              Because your metal building has 4 walls. Pretty hard to insulate screen!
              He is obviously getting a lot of radiant heat from the ceiling. Insulation will help some but it’s still going to be hard to cool.
              Swamp cooler and big fan would help.

Comment

Thanks, I'm not really trying to cool it so much as cut down on the radiant heat.

Comment

misting system

Comment

Put a Yeti sticker on it. It will be cooler for 3 days at a time.

Comment

Spray-on radiant barrier if anything. Fiberglass insulation is not effective if air exchanges in volume across the material.

Walls in houses are obviously dead spaces and attic spaces have very little and slow air movement at the top floor ceilings.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                        Spray-on radiant barrier if anything. Fiberglass insulation is not effective if air exchanges in volume across the material.

Walls in houses are obviously dead spaces and attic spaces have very little and slow air movement at the top floor ceilings.
                        Thanks, good to know.

Comment

Working...
                        X