Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX
Default Kawasaki mule idle issues

We've got a 2013 trans mule 4x4. It's had an idle issue for a long while now. It runs like a bat if you're giving it gas, but it won't idle for nothing, not for any extended amount of time anyway... I can adjust the idle to a much higher rpm and it will "idle" but that's not good either. We've taken it to shop a few times. All 3 claimed it was a doing it for 3 different reason and within a couple months of the shops putting their own form of band aide on it, it's not wanting to idle again.
So starting again from square one, any pointers from the TBH brain-trust? Maaaaybe someone has had and fixed this same issue...?

Thanks!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Solocam00
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trees or brush

have you tried to adjust the throttle positioning sensor while its running? thats been the only issue with one of ours at the ranch.
Solocam00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
RealTreeHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & Lee County

We have 2 Mules and both do the exact same thing. It's like they idle really low when just sitting there and finally just peter out. They run just fine and crank up fine, but can't idle. It's to the point that whenever I come to a complete stop to do anything that takes over a minute, I just turn them off.
RealTreeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
breese
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora,Colorado,Arizona, New Mexico

Is it fuel injected or carb?
breese is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Mine did the same thing. Kawasaki dealer in Goldthewaite fixed it under warranty.
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
RealTreeHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & Lee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark79 View Post
Mine did the same thing. Kawasaki dealer in Goldthewaite fixed it under warranty.
Ours isn't under warranty anymore. What did they do to it?
RealTreeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTreeHunter View Post
Ours isn't under warranty anymore. What did they do to it?
Mine wasn't under warranty either but they said kawasaki new they had issues with the engine design. Not sure what they did but it runs great now.
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Wish I could help, because ours did the same thing. I took it in to get serviced, and they fixed it, but I don't know what they did. Are you running the mid range octane gas in it? We have always ran the mid octane stuff in it, and I will add some fuel additive to it every now and then if I know it will be sitting for a while without use.
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
ByronB
Ten Point

My 610 is ten years old but has been running just fine. Last time out it ran good for an hour. After that it was all downhill. Every time I came to a stop it died. When I ran it at a regular speed no problems. Could the carburetor be clogged? Gas tank drained? Spark plug changed? Going to take it apart next time to the lease.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
ByronB
Ten Point

Oops....Cuz.....did not me to high jack your thread.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solocam00 View Post
have you tried to adjust the throttle positioning sensor while its running? thats been the only issue with one of ours at the ranch.
I have seen this done before on another Mule 610. Turned the idle up. It would idle fast. However, when putting it in gear it would make a loud clunk.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

My 2014 trans mule did the EXACT same thing. It was the throttle position sensor and was covered under warranty. Dropping mine off there was a guy picking one up just like it and his was a year older and was doing same thing and was covered under warranty, and it was the same fix. I think it wouldve been no more than 3-400$ without warranty but it has been a a year and a half so I may be a little off.
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
76aggie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay Co., Schleicher Co.

I have an older 610 as well. First off, I love it. Is cold natured but I can live with that. I have the opposite problem. Mine tends to idle too fast. ByronB talked about the loud clunk when going into gear and I believe that is because it is going into gear with the idle too fast. That could cause damage to transmission gears. I have a fix for that in that I just start the thing in gear as not to damage the transmission gears. You can start one in gear if you put your foot on the brake while starting it.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

my 2005 Trans did that, took it to the shop and they greased the throttle cable, took the inner steel cable out and wiped and re greased.... i was expecting a $300 carb cleaning bill... cost me $40
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

We have this problem pretty often. Mostly likely the throttle body is dirty. You can take it off and clean it, or you can run a couple tanks of gas w seafoam or injector cleaner through it. Usually clears up after two tanks or so. I was told this is because of running crappy fuel. Mules like higher octane fuels.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
Team Porkchop
Ten Point

I had the same problem and it turned out it needed a new spark plug. Now every year before hunting season I change all the oils, replace the fuel filter in the tank (Might want to look at that too), clean the air filters, and replace the spark plug.
Team Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

I don't think there is a carb...

Yes, we've been running good fuel on it for over a year now.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Reel Screamer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76aggie View Post
I have an older 610 as well. First off, I love it. Is cold natured but I can live with that. I have the opposite problem. Mine tends to idle too fast. ByronB talked about the loud clunk when going into gear and I believe that is because it is going into gear with the idle too fast. That could cause damage to transmission gears. I have a fix for that in that I just start the thing in gear as not to damage the transmission gears. You can start one in gear if you put your foot on the brake while starting it.
What year is yours. I have a 2008 and don't think mine will do that.
Reel Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Screamer View Post
What year is yours. I have a 2008 and don't think mine will do that.
Mine is a 2010,and it won't start like that either.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #20
Tbar
Ten Point

It is a known issue and will be covered under warranty(emissions). First trip to the shop they will clean the throttle body. The second trip they will replace the throttle body. Guess fuel injected was not such a great idea.

My 2014 is doing the same thing.

Last edited by Tbar; 08-11-2016 at 08:22 PM..
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
We have this problem pretty often. Mostly likely the throttle body is dirty. You can take it off and clean it, or you can run a couple tanks of gas w seafoam or injector cleaner through it. Usually clears up after two tanks or so. I was told this is because of running crappy fuel. Mules like higher octane fuels.
I know its an old thread but I was having the same issue with my 2009 Mule and did a search. Starts and runs great but if you need to get out and do anything for longer than a couple min, just turn it off because it will eventually die. I put some injector cleaner in it and a tank of high octane gas, hope it clears it up. Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #22
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

I have a 610 and have the same problem-I have just learned to deal with it but it would be nice to have fixed
perow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #23
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
I know its an old thread but I was having the same issue with my 2009 Mule and did a search. Starts and runs great but if you need to get out and do anything for longer than a couple min, just turn it off because it will eventually die. I put some injector cleaner in it and a tank of high octane gas, hope it clears it up. Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue.

We have learned recently there’s a problem with the mules with high humidity days. They have this problem in Texas Oklahoma and Louisiana. Not exactly sure what the part is but the first time you take it to the dealership they clean the part then the next time you take it they actually change the part out under warranty. Just had one in the shop last week with the same problem and about to send the second one. I will try to figure out exactly what the part is but we have learned is a Kawasaki problem not something that we are doing wrong
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #24
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

I posted in the original thread about my fuel injected 2014 but yalls issues sound exactly like mine. I limped it along for a while until it would hardly run. Tried seafoam and adjusted idle. It was the throttle position sensor and been running great ever since
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #25
ByronB
Ten Point

I took my 610 in to the Kawasaki Dealer in Fredricksburg. They did an outstanding job on it. It now runs fine. No more idle problems. They changed the battery, spark plug, cleaned the carburator, drained the gas, oil change, filter, and fuel filter for about $440. Mine is a 2006 model and I believe it has plenty of life still in it.