Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default Ozone safe levels

Ozone is not necessarily safe to breathe so how safe are the units yíall use in blinds??
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
peterp63
Ten Point

I've wondered the same. I do know that smell gets me feeling sick after a while... or maybe it's the reaction to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
I've wondered the same. I do know that smell gets me feeling sick after a while... or maybe it's the reaction to it.

Ozone can damage lungs in high enough levels
Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Ozone is made up of 3 oxygen molecules. So I guess in theory if you breathed enough of It, one of the oxygen molecules could combine with a pair of hydrogen molecules in your lungs. Leaving O2 and H2O. Water and air in your lungs.

Or maybe not.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
peterp63
Ten Point

peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

Quote:

It may be affecting your memory too
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
WBA2000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

https://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/osha-and-ozone
WBA2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Not a good selling point!! lmao
Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Not a good selling point!! lmao
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
WCB
Pope & Young

Not a lot of responses. Guess everyone is in their blinds using one killing big deer...
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not a lot of responses. Guess everyone is in their blinds using one killing big deer...
Are you not hunting? It's nice and cool outside.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

First of all, your not supposed to put it in your blind. It should be placed at the top of your downwind window or what I do is set it on the top of the blind. If you use it right, there are no health risks except for maybe when that big buck steps out in your shooting lane your heart may feel like it's about to explode.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Are you not hunting? It's nice and cool outside.
Wish I was hunting instead of outside painting. Letting stuff dry after the rain before I get back to it...
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
First of all, your not supposed to put it in your blind. It should be placed at the top of your downwind window or what I do is set it on the top of the blind. If you use it right, there are no health risks except for maybe when that big buck steps out in your shooting lane your heart may feel like it's about to explode.
Interesting

So in my Krivoman I could mount it outside above the window. Thatís doable.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

If you're smelling it or breathing it in, you're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be above your head on the downwind side of you so it would always be blowing away from you... only time I smell it when I'm hunting is when the wind momentarily swirls
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
If you're smelling it or breathing it in, you're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be above your head on the downwind side of you so it would always be blowing away from you... only time I smell it when I'm hunting is when the wind momentarily swirls
Like I trust medical advice from a woman...
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #17
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Like I trust medical advice from a woman...
Bahahahahaha!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I placed a borrowed one inside above my shooting window aimed outward but had it on boost and it made my lungs burn after an hour. I'm assuming I need to put it on regular setting and see if I can tolerate it more.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I placed a borrowed one inside above my shooting window aimed outward but had it on boost and it made my lungs burn after an hour. I'm assuming I need to put it on regular setting and see if I can tolerate it more.
I assume the window you placed it above had the wind blowing in and you didn't have another window open. If this is the case, open another window that is down wind and place it above that window. Now if your like me, I only like one window open so it stays as dark as possible in the blind and so animals can't see through the blind and me when I move. This is why I put mine on top of the blind in the center. This may not work well with big blinds, I use mine with popup blinds with only one small shooting window open and with it on top it works very good. I also connected a long power cord to it and run the cord inside the blind and then hook it to a 12V feeder battery. This way I can still turn the unit off and on from inside the blind. You may ask why I would want to be able to turn it on and off, the real answer is you don't need to but I've done it on several occasions when I had several deer in front of me that were not shooters and I wanted to see if the ozonics was the reason they were feeding down wind without spooking. On every occasion, a couple of minutes after I turned it off, the deer would start sniffing the air and then leave. I would then turn it back on and most of those same deer would come back and start feeding again. Now I never would recommend hunting a setup with the wind blowing to your feed but sometimes when you make a long trip to hunt for a couple of days and the wind is wrong, you have a choice, don't hunt at all or risk it. I will say I have had virtually no luck using ozonics when hunting in a open air stand like a tree stand or tripod. I mount it right above my head yet still get busted when the animals come in down wind. Now I haven't tried their new unit so maybe it will work better in open air stands since it puts out more ozone but I kind of doubt it.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
I assume the window you placed it above had the wind blowing in and you didn't have another window open. If this is the case, open another window that is down wind and place it above that window. Now if your like me, I only like one window open so it stays as dark as possible in the blind and so animals can't see through the blind and me when I move. This is why I put mine on top of the blind in the center. This may not work well with big blinds, I use mine with popup blinds with only one small shooting window open and with it on top it works very good. I also connected a long power cord to it and run the cord inside the blind and then hook it to a 12V feeder battery. This way I can still turn the unit off and on from inside the blind. You may ask why I would want to be able to turn it on and off, the real answer is you don't need to but I've done it on several occasions when I had several deer in front of me that were not shooters and I wanted to see if the ozonics was the reason they were feeding down wind without spooking. On every occasion, a couple of minutes after I turned it off, the deer would start sniffing the air and then leave. I would then turn it back on and most of those same deer would come back and start feeding again. Now I never would recommend hunting a setup with the wind blowing to your feed but sometimes when you make a long trip to hunt for a couple of days and the wind is wrong, you have a choice, don't hunt at all or risk it. I will say I have had virtually no luck using ozonics when hunting in a open air stand like a tree stand or tripod. I mount it right above my head yet still get busted when the animals come in down wind. Now I haven't tried their new unit so maybe it will work better in open air stands since it puts out more ozone but I kind of doubt it.
I was in a t reestand and had 6 does come in from directly downwind of me last weekend with an approximately 8-9mph wind and they didn't act like they knew I was there...
Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #21
sheltonsykes
Four Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite

What about those scent crusher ozone dispensers that you plug into your truck adapter? Supposed to kill scent in the cab of your truck and you can definitely smell it.
sheltonsykes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltonsykes View Post
What about those scent crusher ozone dispensers that you plug into your truck adapter? Supposed to kill scent in the cab of your truck and you can definitely smell it.
You should use one like that or a home unit when your not there. Preferably

It's Monday, any other opinions or testimonials??
Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

No...from my back/right side. SW with a west blind. I wouldn't use it if the wind was blowing into the blind as I don't seem to have many issues ...and yes...one window open...and yes....long drives make us hunt some less than stellar winds which is why I was hoping the Ozone lower level wouldn't choke me out like the boost.

Name:  IMG_0381.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  37.1 KB

Feeder is now a directional and not in view but you get the picture

Name:  00Seismic view1.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  17.4 KB

Last edited by Smart; 10-16-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #24
BigJimmyRustler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
lol
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
WCB
Pope & Young

Guess I might have to give the thing a try. $300 is a lot just to try out...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #26
WCB
Pope & Young

ttt
Old 10-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #27
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
X2
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #28
Jamesdad07
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Mostly Gonzalez county

Quote:

Awesome reply. Iím digging the idea of connecting it to a feeder battery. I got lucky when the Gander Mountain close to me was closing and waited until all the accessories went to 70% off. I grabbed all 4 of the XL batteries that they had. It would still be nice to run it to a power source instead of having to recharge all the batteries. If you are talking about the 200HR, I didnít realize that was an option. How did you connect your power source?

My experience in open blinds has been better with my ozonics than without it, but Iíve still been busted a couple of times. Are you running it on boost mode in an open blind and still getting busted most of the time?

Jamesdad07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #29
rocky
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
Guess I might have to give the thing a try. $300 is a lot just to try out...
If you drink enough beer, it will negate the effects of ozone,
just my humble opinion.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #30
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

So in my situation wind has been blowing in my face most hunts with maybe some cross wind. I keep two of my 4 window in my krivo closed. Should I not use the ozonics in there? I have been mounting it above my head and sometimes no windows open just running in the blindfor a little to kill odor before the feeder goes off.

I can usually smell it when it's on.
What exactly does it do to you?

Guess I should read up more. I usually won't hunt a blind if there if there's a completely wrong wind.

Guess what I'm saying is I usually don't have a down wind window open to point the ozonics at
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

ttt
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #32
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

I use one, spent 14 days under one last year on KS. Yes, I felt effects towards the end. Harder to take deep breaths
Spearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #33
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
If you're not supposed to use it in your blind, why do they make a mount to fit the rods in a pop-up ? The rods are on the inside.

To the OP, if you're smelling the ozone, you're not doing it right. No matter where it's mounted, it's supposed to be over your head and pointed downwind. That way, it falls like a curtain over your scent stream. This does not work as well in a swirling wind, like in a tree. It's best used in a blind where you control what window your scent exits.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #34
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
If you're not supposed to use it in your blind, why do they make a mount to fit the rods in a pop-up ? The rods are on the inside.

To the OP, if you're smelling the ozone, you're not doing it right. No matter where it's mounted, it's supposed to be over your head and pointed downwind. That way, it falls like a curtain over your scent stream. This does not work as well in a swirling wind, like in a tree. It's best used in a blind where you control what window your scent exits.
Iím thinking at the Krivo Iíll mount it just above the open window outside and in my tree stands above me on the tree.

And if we all started using them would we repair the ozone hole in the atmosphere??
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #35
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I have been doing it wrong I guess, I have been using it to kill the smell in the blind so none escapes. I mounted a 2x6 block above the krivo door so it rains down on me. We have felt effects but I thought it was allergies. I guess I won't use it in there anymore unless I am "forced" to hunt a blind with a bad wind.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #36
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0476.pdf
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #37
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím thinking at the Krivo Iíll mount it just above the open window outside and in my tree stands above me on the tree.

And if we all started using them would we repair the ozone hole in the atmosphere??
Maybe we need a HR1000 model for that job
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
I use one, spent 14 days under one last year on KS. Yes, I felt effects towards the end. Harder to take deep breaths

Same here with lungs burning a tad..
Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #39
JBT
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague, Grayson

simple fix here, just hunt in one of these :
Attached Images

JBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #40
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

How do you connect and hr 200 to feeder battery? That would beat using a $120 battery
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #41
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Like Jenn says below or.......place it on top of your blind facing the direction of the prevailing wind. When in my blind I have it aiming out the window in the direction the wind is blowing.
Maybe Big Russ will chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #42
roysmoke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I made one of these setups for my Krivoman blinds just because I did not want the Ozone inside there with me. It spits it all of it outside the window. It works great. FYI, I talk about batteries in the video but they are not batteries. They are all neodymium magnets.

Watch "Magnet set up for ozonics" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qfcUO6DoCjA

Here is a picture for reference.Name:  Resized_20171013_172022.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  25.6 KB

Last edited by roysmoke; 10-18-2017 at 07:41 PM..
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #43
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmoke View Post
I made one of these setups for my Krivoman blinds just because I did not want the Ozone inside there with me. It spits it all of it outside the window. It works great. FYI, I talk about batteries in the video but they are not batteries. They are all neodymium magnets.

Watch "Magnet set up for ozonics" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qfcUO6DoCjA

Here is a picture for reference.Attachment 877998
Thanks for the info.