anyone trad hunt from a climbing stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone trad hunt from a climbing stand?

If so does anyone do anything different than when compound hunting besides getting a closer tree? One feeder I have there is some nice trees to set up a climber. I think there is to many different paths the deer use to really put up a tent blind with out disturbing them this close to opener.

I hunt from a climber and a lock-on. The only thing i do different with the trad bow in hunt a little lower. 12-15 feet as opposed to 20-25.

Comment

The only think I can think of is limb clearance. The only climber I have hunted out of, the rail would most definitely have gotten in the way... even if I had stood up to shoot.

Comment

That works out great since im not a huge fan of heights

Comment

swamp rabbit great point have to look at one with out the gun rail for sure, my bow is pretty short but I wouldn't of thought about that. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
            swamp rabbit great point have to look at one with out the gun rail for sure, my bow is pretty short but I wouldn't of thought about that. thanks
            Yep, they do make "bow" style ones, but you still have to be careful because most of the time, they still mean those 30" compound bows. I had a Viper Summit and I could stand to draw my compound and be okay... but no way in hell a stick bow.

Here is one that is still open front, that I'd probably still not use for a trad bow

If you look, you still have that cable that has to come down to the seat at and angle and that could very well get in the way of your string. Especially when you have to bend at the waist to get the shot.

Honestly, I ditched climbers when I stopped hunting public land. And while I prefer to hunt on the ground, if I am going to put up a temporary tree stand, I am thinking hang on with strap on steps or maybe even a simple tripod.

Comment

you think a lock on could be set up at 3am day of opener? and be fine to hunt that morning? last min I know but I wasn't going to hunt opener bc of work and last weekend we decided a tent wouldn't work in this area. wanted a climber bc of the smaller footprint I would leave that morning

Comment

I've killed numerous deer out of my API climber, even using my 66" long bow. I usually hunt about 20' up. Just be sure to practice out of it and lean from the waist.

Comment

Have a lock-on with foot platform up about 12 feet (no rail), so shots released from about 15'. Fastened some fencing around it to hold camo netting and in which to stick some limbs and leaves; have had some issues with hitting bow limbs. Now have a much shorter bow -- 52" vs. 66". Went out recently and took some shots from the stand with the new bow: no clearance problems -- standing or sitting.

So, what I'm saying is go ahead and get your stand set up at a height that makes sense on the particular tree you choose; then make sure you can actually shoot where you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
                    you think a lock on could be set up at 3am day of opener? and be fine to hunt that morning? last min I know but I wasn't going to hunt opener bc of work and last weekend we decided a tent wouldn't work in this area. wanted a climber bc of the smaller footprint I would leave that morning
                    There are public land hunters that do it all the time. The key is that they have been doing it alot. I would guess it isn't easy the first time. That being said, using a climber and picking a tree for the first time at 3am isn't easy either! I find that things don't look the same in the dark and when I am in a hurry.
                    Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    I've killed numerous deer out of my API climber, even using my 66" long bow. I usually hunt about 20' up. Just be sure to practice out of it and lean from the waist.

http://www.apioutdoors.com/products/...treestand.html
                    That is a ringing endorsement if I ever saw one. While I would have been skeptical even with the open design... Phillip just put that to rest

Comment

I have the tree picked out already and limbs cleared out of my way

Comment

In that case, and based on Phillip's response, using an open climber is probably your best bet. The nice thing about them of course is you just wrap it around the tree and start climbing. Hanging a hang on isn't hard, but you have to keep pulling up more sections of climbing sticks, and then the stand itself. You will probably work up a sweat that you don't want to be doing opening morning.

Comment

A really good option if you're still worried about clearance and don't mind the cost is the Lone Wolf climber. It is not the most comfortable to climb with, but is lightweight and offers minimal interference issues.

Comment

I can't imagine using either path opening morning without sweating up a storm by the time you are done.

I try not to use my climbers unless the temp is under 65* (and go slow) . with ~ 55* and under being better.

With east Texas humidity you will sweat up a storm by the time you get set up using it with temps in the 70's.

Sweat = stink, so you had better be pretty high up with the wind in your favor if you are going that route IMO.

A preset lock-on, tree stand or tripod is what I stick do during early season.

BUT, if this is your only way to hunt- by all means do it.

If the tree is bald, zip tie some branches to the climber deck to help break up your silhouette.

Most people using climbers climb up to the trees canopy so the branches at the top will help break up their outline when being looked at from the ground.

Comment

dave c you have a very good point!

Comment

Working...
                              X