Bow speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow speed question

I am shooting a 60# bowtech gaurdian. The IBO is 321-329 I believe. I was trying to figure out how many FPS I loose shooting 60# ?

A lot goes into that question, you will be around 299 fps if you have a 30" draw
    Here is a good calculator

Comment

Originally posted by KarlGansen View Post
      A lot goes into that question, you will be around 299 fps if you have a 30" draw

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
      I used to use that thing, then I put my bow(s) through a chrono, it hurt my feelings for a while.

Comment

what is your draw length/arrow weight.

apples to apples against a 70lb bow around 20-25 fps.

Comment

My hoyt spyder ibo speed is 330. It is a 60 # bow at 29" and shoots a 400 spine 300 grain arrow at 290 fps.

Comment

Pretty cool website.....it is spot on with my bow when I shot it through the chrono

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
              I am shooting a 60# bowtech gaurdian. The IBO is 321-329 I believe. I was trying to figure out how many FPS I loose shooting 60# ?
              You can figure approx 2 fps per pound of draw weight IIRC. YMMV

Comment

The guardian was a good shooting bow. I had two of them. With out knowing you specs. A 70 lb bow shooting a 350 gn arrow will lose about 10fps dropping to 60 lbs if still shooting the 350 gn arrow. If you drop to a 300 gn arrow you will loose around 2 to 4 fps. I just used the ibo arrow weight as a reference only. If speed bothers you don't shoot the guardian through a coronagraph. Just shoot and have fun.

Comment

Your looking at about +/-2 fps per pound of draw weight added, or lowered, aprx +/-3 fps per 10grains of weight subtracted or added to your arrow and +/- 10fps per inch of draw length increased or decreased.

I would say your speed loss will be between 15 to 20 fps going from 70#'s to 60#'s. Just my opinions and observations.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    what is your draw length/arrow weight.

apples to apples against a 70lb bow around 20-25 fps.
                    29" draw. Around 380 gr total arrow weight.

Comment

My gaurdian shoots great out to 65-70 yards(practice distance). I was considering upgrading but only if I could get a significant increase in speed. So I was trying to get a baseline where I was in relation to IBO ratings. I defiantly don't need a faster bow, but it is tempting

Comment

you should be around 275

Comment

Why did you do this to me? I just spent 2 hours using this and various bow sites while playing with arrow weight to find the speed I wanted.

Comment

Gato, just wait till you find the Gold Tip build your own arrow site.

Comment

Or just buy the OT2 program!

I am on the process and have basically built some arrows in the .220 spine range that will weigh around 710 grains with around 25% FOC. Nice and heavy with plenty of pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X