Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    You do know that the bones on a whitetail that will prevent arrow penetration are not in front of the vitals don’t you? Unless you take a stupid shot.

So you hit the vitals on every animal you shoot at? You’re a much better shot than I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
      So you hit the vitals on every animal you shoot at? You’re a much better shot than I am!

Never said that. Read my post. I’ve taken shots I shouldn’t have. I’ve missed the vitals. I said that if I hit a bone that stopped my arrow, the vitals weren’t behind that bone unless I took a stupid shot.

Comment

Thoughts

Never said that. Read my post. I’ve taken shots I shouldn’t have. I’ve missed the vitals. I said that if I hit a bone that stopped my arrow, the vitals weren’t behind that bone unless I took a stupid shot.

Rocky I’m just giving you a hard time. I know the FOC argument could go on for days. I’ve drank the cool-aid. I’ve read Dr. Ashby’s studies (At least a large majority of it). It’s not a perfect science but it IS a science! Their is data to back the claims. Can’t say the same for the speed side. There is 0 data to support speed claims, just “shooter experience”. To each their own.

Comment

Rocky I’m just giving you a hard time. I know the FOC argument could go on for days. I’ve drank the cool-aid. I’ve read Dr. Ashby’s studies (At least a large majority of it). It’s not a perfect science but it IS a science! Their is data to back the claims. Can’t say the same for the speed side. There is 0 data to support speed claims, just “shooter experience”. To each their own.

I really don’t understand why you’re giving me a hard time. You say that speed has zero data. If you shoot a slow arrow, your yardage estimation has to be more precise. If you shoot a slow arrow, you have to interpret the animal’s mood more precisely. These are unknowns in a lot of situations. Speed has the ability to overcome ( in part) a portion of these unknowns. I’m simply giving my opinion based on experience. Is experience no longer viable due to “data”?

Comment

Everything Rocky said. Y’all Ranch Fairy folks need to spend the time practicing that you spend listening to that crap.

Comment

I think rocky has a good point as far as animal reaction and distance estimates. If you knocked off another 48 gr and had a 400 gr arrow you might be able to get your speed up to 250-265 which isn’t necessarily slow. A 400gr arrow with a sharp broadhead that is tuned will do the trick just as well and give you a better margin of error.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                Everything Rocky said. Y’all Ranch Fairy folks need to spend the time practicing that you spend listening to that crap.

lol I shoot more than enough. My point is why put yourself at a mechanical disadvantage before you even release the arrow?

Comment

lol I shoot more than enough. My point is why put yourself at a mechanical disadvantage before you even release the arrow?

If the animal is gone by the time the arrow gets there then nothing else matters. I’d say that a heavy arrow moving slow is a physical disadvantage.

Before I get flamed I’m a heavy arrow guy, but my setup allows me to do that at high speeds.

Comment

I really don’t understand why you’re giving me a hard time. You say that speed has zero data. If you shoot a slow arrow, your yardage estimation has to be more precise. If you shoot a slow arrow, you have to interpret the animal’s mood more precisely. These are unknowns in a lot of situations. Speed has the ability to overcome ( in part) a portion of these unknowns. I’m simply giving my opinion based on experience. Is experience no longer viable due to “data”?

I shoot a 600gn arrow now and a 400gn arrow before. I shoot a single pin sight and don’t have a shot over 35yds. I don’t interpret the animal any different than I did before. As a matter of fact, a get less reaction out of an animal at further distances because the shot isn’t as loud. The extra 200gn of weight deadens the bow more than you would think.

And to answer your question honestly, No, experience isn’t a viable data source when comparing it to actual hard data (numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                      If the animal is gone by the time the arrow gets there then nothing else matters. I’d say that a heavy arrow moving slow is a physical disadvantage.

Before I get flamed I’m a heavy arrow guy, but my setup allows me to do that at high speeds.

We aren’t shooting 100yds here. We’re talking out 40yds and in. The measurable difference in time it takes a heavy arrow versus a light arrow to arrive at the target is less than a finger snap.

Comment

Drink that kool aid. Lol

Comment

I shoot a 600gn arrow now and a 400gn arrow before. I shoot a single pin sight and don’t have a shot over 35yds. I don’t interpret the animal any different than I did before. As a matter of fact, a get less reaction out of an animal at further distances because the shot isn’t as loud. The extra 200gn of weight deadens the bow more than you would think.

And to answer your question honestly, No, experience isn’t a viable data source when comparing it to actual hard data (numbers).

First, I don’t care what bow you shoot, with a 600 grain arrow, if you’re shooting a single pin sight, at some point, you’re guessing the yardage. You are either holding over, or under. Second, you are already touting you’re experience, rather than relying on data. A faster arrow is a flatter shooting arrow.

Comment

Thoughts

We aren’t shooting 100yds here. We’re talking out 40yds and in. The measurable difference in time it takes a heavy arrow versus a light arrow to arrive at the target is less than a finger snap.

So you’re saying speed doesn’t matter at all? That a 300fps arrow will impact the same spot as an arrow traveling 200fps if a deer drops like they tend to do?

Lol y’all have a nice night, I’m not arguing this one again all night.

Op good luck and I’m sure you will do your own testing and come up with your own decisions.

Comment

First, I don’t care what bow you shoot, with a 600 grain arrow, if you’re shooting a single pin sight, at some point, you’re guessing the yardage. You are either holding over, or under. Second, you are already touting you’re experience, rather than relying on data. A faster arrow is a flatter shooting arrow.

I had hold over with the lighter arrows as well. Of course a faster arrow is flatter shooting, that’s simple physics. However, y’all are acting like we are talking about shooting a long bow vs a 70lb compound. I’m talking about a 70lb bow pushing an arrow that’s 200gn heavier at 20-30yds. Your time differences are in the fractions of a second.

Comment

Thoughts

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                                So you’re saying speed doesn’t matter at all? That a 300fps arrow will impact the same spot as an arrow traveling 200fps if a deer drops like they tend to do?

Lol y’all have a nice night, I’m not arguing this one again all night.

Op good luck and I’m sure you will do your own testing and come up with your own decisions.

Absolutely not, a 300fps arrow will not impact the same spot. I’m saying y’all are talking a arrow traveling 20yds!!!! How much of a physical drop in the arrow do you think there is at 20yds if you shot both side by side!? Your talking about less than inch...

Comment

Working...
                                X