Fighting bird and trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting bird and trout

Sometimes a knife goes together pretty easily. Sometimes they fight you the whole way. This little bird and trout is a fighter. It was originally designed for a slotted guard. In the process of working on my second guard after I cut the slot wrong on the first one, my 1/ 16 drillbit broke in the hole. I was unable to punch it out because it was so small, so I had to grind off the guard, and nicked the spine of the tapered tang in the process.

Going to shoot a series of photos over the next few days or weeks showing I plan to rescue this knife from this error.

Instead of a slotted guard, I'm going to grind a shoulder and then the tang down. I will then do a regular guard and a mortise fit sheep horn handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the rescue

Comment

Been there and done that. In to see how someone with more skills does it.

Comment

Don't let that bird & trout win, Jason!

Comment

I've got the tang ground and the new guard mostly fit. Still need a bit of spacer work, some guard shaping, and the handle. I'll try and shoot another few pics tonight.

Comment

So it's been a few days, but I finally made some more progress. I got the guard fit, and two spacers behind it.

Next it was time to fit the handle. I decided to mortise fit sheep Horn.

I still lack a little bit on the handle fit, and the guard shaping, then I can glue it up. Probably put three pins through the whole handle assembly, one through the tang and two at the end to hold the horn together. Maybe this weekend?

I told my wife I would make her a chef knife for Christmas in January. It may be the last day, but I got-er done. She chose the thicker profile and Maple. The other one is redwood, and both are 154 CM stainless.

Comment

Got everything all cleaned up as far as fit goes, and did some rough shaping on the guard and handle. Here's a shot of it glued up. Will lack maybe an hour and a half after it dries. Maybe tomorrow, more likely mid week.

Comment

Finally got this one finished up. 7 inches exactly from tip to tail, with the blade 3 3/8 to the front of the guard. Not one of my usual designs at all, but when you're cleaning up a mess, you make the best with what you've got. I marked this one on the spine in front of the guard, instead of my usual spot on the blade.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Definitely a looker!

Comment

That is great looking

Comment

Man that is sharp looking

Comment

I like that a lot.

How's it feel in the hand?

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                            I like that a lot.

How's it feel in the hand?

Just about right for a small knife. I like a bit longer handle personally. Too short for deer skinning, but just right for small game.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X