Management Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management Opinions Needed

This is going to be my first year to protein feed deer as well as plant summer/spring plots. I have two different pieces of property on opposite ends of the county. One is in a river bottom along a creek that I've hunted for over 10 years now. Another is a new one with better deer on it that I would like to grow and keep. Every winter I've always planted oats that I've had the places and it has been very successful.I'm already feeding Lyssy and Eckle protein at each place.
    What I was curious to know, is how do you guys go from green to green plots through season changes? And what have seeds have seem to have the best growth such as biologic, tecomate etc....
    Also since I'm a newbie to this, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I've attached the pieces of property. They are located in Grimes county.
    The first piece is the river bottom piece and you can see in the center of the picture the green winter plot, which will be the area I will continue planting.
    The other two I dropped pins on the locations that will be planted.

Let me know what you guys think and your opinions on what you would do!
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like two great places to hunt! Curious how big each place is?

The best thing I have found for helping with transitioning from fall to spring plantings is a good white clover (durana) and chicory. Plant both in the fall so they can put down roots...the clover will explode in the spring and last until early summer or longer if you get normal rainfall. The chicory can last even longer and can even make through the entire summer because it has a deep taproot.

Its hard in Texas to have a successful summer plot unless you get timely rain or can irrigate. Soybeans and cow peas and two mainstays in alot of hunters' summer plots. This year I'm going to give sunn hemp a try because its a tropical legume that is off the charts in protein (30%) and is very heat/drought tolerant.

To me if you can provide supplemental food plots 9-10 months of the year you are doing good.

Comment

Working...
        X