Ever recover a deer like this? First time for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever recover a deer like this? First time for me

So night before last I shot a doe just before dark. I was pretty confident I made a good shot, so I waited about an hour before i started tracking. By that time it was dark, but the arrow looked great, covered in good blood so i figured it would be an easy track.

The blood trail started out really good, but of course she headed into the roughest nastiest part of my place. She ended up making a full circle crossing back over the original blood trail and then it started to get spotty before i lost it in the dark.

It was already cold that night and was going to get down close to freezing so I decided to just back out and come back as soon as it got light.

I got back on the trail right at daylight and really wasn't far off from the night before. It got pretty spotty for a ways right where i lost it, but after finding some small drops of blood here and there I finally found where she really started pouring out.

I ended up finding her about 150 yards from the original shot, but evidentially something else found her first, because she was buried completley in dirt and leaves and had been munched on pretty good.

Sorry for the long read but, i just thought what ended up happening was pretty interesting, never happened to me before anyways. I wish I would of been able to find her in time to recover the meat, and believe me I did try, but something else was the better tracker that night. I put a camera on it yesterday, so we'll probably have a big bob cat on it when i check it.
    Attached Files

Bear?

Comment

Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Cat
        This. Definitely a cat.

Comment

That's the work of a cougar. They burry stuff they want to eat later.

Comment

Definitely a cat of some sort, I'm the first one to call BS on a "big cat sighting" so thats why I'm still saying bob cat, but this ones got me feeling a little weird for sure. I'm in western Parker County BTW.

Comment

Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up for sure when the blood trail led me to that lol

Comment

Snap chat cat.

Comment

Bobcat.

Comment

Looks like a lion claim to me. We tracked one and found it like that and it'll make the hair stand up on your neck when you see it for sure. We also tracked one and found it still alive with slobber all over her neck and her eyes just glazed over, then we got screamed at in the dark by the lion. Talk about cleaning your shorts...

BTW you can recover the rest of that meat, just because it's got some bites out of some parts doesn't render the rest of the deer inedible.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      Bobcat.
                      Yep thats my guess, cameras been on it since yesterday morning so I'm going to pull the card tomorrow and see if it came back for seconds

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        Snap chat cat.
                        And not even the good kind of snap chat cat! lol

Comment

Originally posted by CP121 View Post
                          And not even the good kind of snap chat cat! lol
                          Hahahahaha here kitty kitty.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Looks like a lion claim to me. We tracked one and found it like that and it'll make the hair stand up on your neck when you see it for sure. We also tracked one and found it still alive with slobber all over her neck and her eyes just glazed over, then we got screamed at in the dark by the lion. Talk about cleaning your shorts...

BTW you can recover the rest of that meat, just because it's got some bites out of some parts doesn't render the rest of the deer inedible.
                            Well the whole mid section of that deer was basically gone, as well as a good bit of hind quarter. I'm not one to waste anything I kill, but i chalked this one up as a loss.

Comment

Any evidence the deer was drug to that final resting place?

I’m in the bobcat category

Comment

Working...
                              X