Question for the Plumbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Plumbers

Fixing to re-plumb an old house we bought. The house is on blocks with all piping underneath and was never winterized so the pvc is a mess. Rather than patch what is there I decided to just start from scratch and go with pex to avoid some potential freeze problems.

My question is should I go with brass fittings or the poly fittings?

I just had our mother in law house remodeled and there is no brass. Didn’t even know that was an option with pec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They sell that Uponor stuff hard... plenty of installations show it works in the short term. all that plastic makes me a bit nervous. It's also MUCH more expensive tooling set-up and for a beginner, undoing and screwups on the Propex system is much more time intensive and delicate work.
      I use brass fittings and copper crimp rings in all the PEX i do, which is not much.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Want to start remodeling my house soon. Will have to research a little more. Had someone come in and do MIL house. They made it look easy but I had same thought about all the plastic. And your right tooling is expensive, especially to use only once. Following this thread for more ideas and opinions. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was just talking to a master plumber last night about this and he said to never use metal or brass fittings on Pex. The reason being is that it won't stretch with the Pex if frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            They sell that Uponor stuff hard... plenty of installations show it works in the short term. all that plastic makes me a bit nervous. It's also MUCH more expensive tooling set-up and for a beginner, undoing and screwups on the Propex system is much more time intensive and delicate work.
            I use brass fittings and copper crimp rings in all the PEX i do, which is not much.
            Im not sure about the uponor or propex stuff. This is the crimper and style crimps I will be using because its what I had available to me for free!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	24543111
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	24543112

I have just found these two types of fittings and wasn't sure which was the better option. It's a small job only one bathroom, kitchen sink, washing machine and water heater.

Brass
            Shop SharkBite 1/2-in PEX Crimp Brass 90-Degree Elbow (10-Pack) in the PEX Pipe, Fittings & Specialty Tools department at Lowe's.com. The SharkBite PEX Barb Fitting is an easy to install, low cost solution to connect PEX Tubing. SharkBite PEX Barb fittings are compatible for potable water

Poly/Plastic
            Shop SharkBite 1/2-in PEX Crimp Poly 90-Degree Elbow (5-Pack) in the PEX Pipe, Fittings & Specialty Tools department at Lowe's.com. The SharkBite PEX plastic barb elbow (5-Pack) is an easy to install, low cost solution to connect PEX pipe. Advanced polymer plastic fittings are a perfect

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Im not sure about the uponor or propex stuff. This is the crimper and style crimps I will be using because its what I had available to me for free!

I have just found these two types of fittings and wasn't sure which was the better option. It's a small job only one bathroom, kitchen sink, washing machine and water heater.

Brass

Shop SharkBite 1/2-in PEX Crimp Brass 90-Degree Elbow (10-Pack) in the PEX Pipe, Fittings & Specialty Tools department at Lowe's.com. The SharkBite PEX Barb Fitting is an easy to install, low cost solution to connect PEX Tubing. SharkBite PEX Barb fittings are compatible for potable water

Poly/Plastic

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-5...ing/1000183187
              Brass all day

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                Brass all day
                That's the way I was leaning, I couldn't see any advantage to the plastic other than cost. No more fittings than I will need I am more worried about quality over price.

Comment

Working...
                X