Arrow Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
    There are a lot of people posting what they use personally here who seem to be missing the fact that the OP has a different draw length which changes this conversation a lot. For those of us shooting over 30”, we get away with good speed out of much heavier arrows than guys with shorter draw lengths would ever get. He hasn’t told us his DL yet, but if he’s getting 283 FPS out of a 70lb halon 32 with a 390 grain arrow, it’s clearly on the shorter side which changes what he should shoot.

He’s looking for the ideal arrow. To me, an ideal arrow has to be a great balance of momentum (or some other energy measure depending on how you lean), speed, durability, and down range performance (how it retains energy, handles crosswind, etc). If you just got to a crazy heavy arrow, you’re going to sacrifice way too much in speed IMO. I’m not a speed freak by any stretch and shoot a very heavy arrow myself but I think you do need to get to 270-275 for a hunting rig to keep the pin gaps reasonable and to be able to shoot long if necessary.

OP, if you really want to shoot a very heavy arrow and get decent speed you’ll need to shoot a much heavier bow. Assuming I’m close to right on your draw length, you’ll need 90 lbs to push the arrows being recommended to what I consider decent speeds.

D
    Yes. I wrote about draw length about 4 post above you

Comment

I was looking forward to chiming in on this one, but it looks like everything I would have said has already been said.

Comment

Working...
      X