Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
    Matt nailed it.

I'm running a 22-250AI at 3100 with an 80 grain and a short 22 inch barrel.

If you're going to re-barrel to run heavies that would be my suggestion.

I think you're asking a lot to believe that factory ammo even from a custom barrel is going to hold up at 1k. There's a lot fine tuning that can be done to produce a quality reload that is capable of consistently hitting at such range.
    I guess I may be drinking the kool-aid, but the articles that I've been reading have been saying that the 90 gr 224 valk. is still supersonic at 1300 yards out of a 24 inch barrel.

this is typical of what I've been reading...

"Does bullet weight really make a difference though, if it's moving 4,000 fps? According to the math, yes it does. .22-250 will shoot much faster and flatter within short-to-medium-range distances, but as distances increase, the bullets slow down quickly and go subsonic long before the 1,000-yard mark. By contrast, the 90-grain SMK moving much slower out of the muzzle will remain supersonic past 1,300 yards. The difference in wind drift is even more stark. The 90-grain Sierra Match King bullet drifts noticeably less than the light and fast 22-250 projectiles.

Does this mean that the 22-250 is now outmoded? Not even close. Varminters depend upon its flat trajectory and inherent accuracy. It's a handloader's dream cartridge, and the factory ammunition out there works well, too. If, however, you want a semiauto platform or you want to shoot longer distances, .224 Valkyrie looks like it will be the logical choice."

truth? or marketing?

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
      I guess I may be drinking the kool-aid, but the articles that I've been reading have been saying that the 90 gr 224 valk. is still supersonic at 1300 yards out of a 24 inch barrel.

this is typical of what I've been reading...

"Does bullet weight really make a difference though, if it's moving 4,000 fps? According to the math, yes it does. .22-250 will shoot much faster and flatter within short-to-medium-range distances, but as distances increase, the bullets slow down quickly and go subsonic long before the 1,000-yard mark. By contrast, the 90-grain SMK moving much slower out of the muzzle will remain supersonic past 1,300 yards. The difference in wind drift is even more stark. The 90-grain Sierra Match King bullet drifts noticeably less than the light and fast 22-250 projectiles.

Does this mean that the 22-250 is now outmoded? Not even close. Varminters depend upon its flat trajectory and inherent accuracy. It's a handloader's dream cartridge, and the factory ammunition out there works well, too. If, however, you want a semiauto platform or you want to shoot longer distances, .224 Valkyrie looks like it will be the logical choice."

truth? or marketing?
      Both.

High weight, High BC bullets are the key and the Valk will do well.

But you are shooting a .308 based platform (not limited like the AR-15 that the Valk was designed for). So if you are rebarreling you can rebarrel into another .22-250 with a faster twist like the VALK.

What you end up with is a .22-250 that can shoot the 90gr SMK at higher Velocities than the Valk ever dreamed about. This will make the Valk run and hide.

But if you are not reloading you will never get either cartridge to do what you are asking it to do........period.
      Last edited by Outbreaker; 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM. Reason: Add reloading info

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

If you’re dead set on rebarreling, go with either 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor. Both easily stay supersonic past 1,000 yards, have a ton of factory ammo options, and just require a barrel swap. Now cue the haters.
        I've got a 6.5 cm rifle that I shoot quite frequently. I'm really just wanting a 22 cal bullet just to have something different.

Reason I'm wanting to rebarrel is I've already got an action/trigger/stock that I really like.

Heres my criteria again tell me if I'm overlooking something:
        1) 22 cal bullet at least 90 gr
        2) stable to at least 1000 yards
        3) factory ammo
        4) 22 inch barrel

Comment

I've got a 6.5 cm rifle that I shoot quite frequently. I'm really just wanting a 22 cal bullet just to have something different.

Reason I'm wanting to rebarrel is I've already got an action/trigger/stock that I really like.

3) factory ammo
          4) 22 inch barrel
          Factory ammo and accuracy to 1000yds in your rifle usually are not compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            Both.

High weight, High BC bullets are the key and the Valk will do well.

But you are shooting a .308 based platform (not limited like the AR-15 that the Valk was designed for). So if you are rebarreling you can rebarrel into another .22-250 with a faster twist like the VALK.

What you end up with is a .22-250 that can shoot the 90gr SMK at higher Velocities than the Valk ever dreamed about. This will make the Valk run and hide.
            So, rebarreling to a 22-250 with a what 1:8 or 1:7 would fit the bill. but I'd just have to find a place to buy ammo. Also, how hard would that higher velocity be on the barrel (ball park)?

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              Factory ammo and accuracy to 1000yds in your rifle usually are not compatible.
              well, my accuracy definition may be a bit loose. Lets just say I'd like to be able to hit a 12x20 steel silhouette at 1000 yards. I've got a couple factory rifle/ factory loads that can do that.

Comment

So, rebarreling to a 22-250 with a what 1:8 or 1:7 would fit the bill. but I'd just have to find a place to buy ammo. Also, how hard would that higher velocity be on the barrel (ball park)?
                90gr wants a 1:6 twist.

How hard? Too many variables to suggest. My bet is only slightly more than the Valk and probably just a little more than a regular .22-250.

.22-250 will be about 2900-3000fps
                .224 Valk is about 2600-2700 fps.

Comment

well, my accuracy definition may be a bit loose. Lets just say I'd like to be able to hit a 12x20 steel silhouette at 1000 yards. I've got a couple factory rifle/ factory loads that can do that.
                  I know a place that will make ammunition to your specs. If you develop a load they will load it. Call it "Factory Custom" per se.

Comment

thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll be back once i make a decision to post the mandatory "new rifle" pics!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                      The Valkyrie is a .223 bolt face. You have a standard .308 bolt face. Nothing will be interchangeable.

Valkyrie is 6.8 SPC bolt face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

3) factory ammo
                        4) 22 inch barrel
                        Your overlooking that options 1, 3, and 4 don't match option 2. I don't understand why you would want to hamper yourself unless you want a challenge. If it's a challenge you want, try busting clays at 300+ with a 22LR.

Comment

if i only had the criteria of
                          1)22 cal bullet at least 90 gr
                          2)factory ammo

are there any options other than 224 valk?

Comment

No, and no to your original question about the bolt face being the same.

What is your plan when none of the few factory valkyrie loads agree with your gun?

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                              What is your plan when none of the few factory valkyrie loads agree with your gun?
                              Take it back to the gunsmith that gives a guarantee. And, i suspect there will be more manufacturers that start offering factory loads for it.

Comment

I can’t see why one would want to bang steel at 1000yds with a .224 round. You won’t ever get the consistency needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X