Ideas on keeping dog out of garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas on keeping dog out of garden

I just spent half a day placing my raised bed where I wanted them and filling them with soil. I then took some jute string and made my grids. I went outside a hour later after planning where and how much of each vegetable seed I was going to plant only to find a giant hole dug out in one and the grid system destroyed in both. I was PO’d. I’m getting my shocking collar back from my brother tomorrow, but in the mean time, I’m thinking about sprinkling cayenne in and around the bed. Maybe when she gets a wiff of that in her nose she will stay away.
    This is my lacy pup and she stays out of the pen almost all weekend and every evening to burn off some energy. She’s only in the pen when I’m at work

Cayenne did not work for me. A hot wire has been most effective for stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Cayenne did not work for me. A hot wire has been most effective for stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yup, a 10,000 volt one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put an electric fence around it

Comment

I bought the electric fence from harbor freight and had it on about a week and almost a yr later my dogs still won't get close to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 each 80-100lb dogs that love to dig and I live in the city. The only way I have prevented these escape artists from leaving the property is to use hog panels. I line the in side of my privacy cedar fence with a panel, then lay on one the ground and use the big heavy zip ties to tie it to the one I nailed to the fence. Throw some grass on top of the ground panel and its covered. No more digging or getting to where they are not supposed to be.

Comment

I use cattle panels

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
                I use cattle panels

Seems a little cheaper and easier than electric fence. May give that a try first.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                  I have 3 each 80-100lb dogs that love to dig and I live in the city. The only way I have prevented these escape artists from leaving the property is to use hog panels. I line the in side of my privacy cedar fence with a panel, then lay on one the ground and use the big heavy zip ties to tie it to the one I nailed to the fence. Throw some grass on top of the ground panel and its covered. No more digging or getting to where they are not supposed to be.
                  That’s a good idea for keeping them in a fenced yard like that

Comment

on a small area like a raised bed or to keep dogs out of the trash... I use Ammonia. from the dollar store at that. The ammonia sticks around awhile and deters dogs very well. You could try it and maybe your dog will learn that he/she just don't want to mess with it anymore. use a few times then the dog remembers.

Comment

A hot wire will make a believer out of them. You can get one for 30$. Cattle panels are 20$ each.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehunter View Post
                        on a small area like a raised bed or to keep dogs out of the trash... I use Ammonia. from the dollar store at that. The ammonia sticks around awhile and deters dogs very well. You could try it and maybe your dog will learn that he/she just don't want to mess with it anymore. use a few times then the dog remembers.
                        Hmm, I may give that a try. She’s a jumper so idk how well the hot wire or panels will do. She’s only 6 months old and she hops on top of the gate in the backyard and gets out of the yard whenever she wants. Sometimes she will just sit on the gate or walk the porch rails once she gets on the gate

Comment

I put a shock collar on mine. Threw his ball in there and zapped him when he jumped in. A little later I placed a treat inside and zapped him when he went for it. He's never got back in after those 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
                            Seems a little cheaper and easier than electric fence. May give that a try first.
                            Hot wires cheap.main investment is your box and it's cheaper than a few panels..can use over and over. Half of my back yard is crossfenced. When we moved in I ran 2 strands and my dogs quit getting out.

Comment

A friend of mine put 2 strands of hot wire around his. His dogs are also jumpers, but once they got in it the first time they never got close to it again. He even turned it off a month later and they still didn't mess with it. He used one of the cheap 2 mile chargers from Atwood's.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X