Smoke shack build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke shack build

Picked up this steel shed from an auction at work for $20. It is steel and not galvanized, just painted that way. Sides are at least 16 gauge and roof is thicker than that. About 24-30" wide and 6 feet total height. Thinking about taking the bottom foot off as it is not original - appeared to have been added later.

I want to make it into a propane heated smoker. I have a large burner that I was going to use for another smoker that shall we say lost its steam. I think this is a better platform. I would like it to cold smoke if need be but really more for 225-275* smoke. Same process of using a burner under a skillet of wood. Propane to provide heat and wood for smoke.

First steps are to knock rust and residue off as well as take off the bottom foot. Need to make it movable as well, maybe some offroad casters. I do want to halve or third the doors and add appropriate thresholds for that. A small propane tank will do for now. If it finds a more suitable location around the house, I might find a larger tank. Will high temp paint it once welding is done.

Questions and guidance:

Should I insulate it and line with wood? Plywood or 1x4's? What insulation?

Anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I built one a few years back and used fiberglass insulation and 1/4" plywood for interior walls (untreated). It has only caught fire twice... walls need to be lined with aluminum or something. I make a small fire in an old electric skillet.

Just voicing my experiences and failures... I would vote on insulating though, really helps hold the heat, can keep small fires or low propane usage. Hope this helps!

Comment

My exact concern about catching fire. Thanks

Comment

This thread goes into great detail.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
            This thread goes into great detail.

http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/view...php?f=80&t=259
            This thread is packed with tons of info. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

So using the smoker builder thread as a guide...

Any reason why plywood inside covering the insulation would be bad? I don't think I can swing all the aluminum. I would envision aluminum lining the bottom around the burner and flame but would assume the rest is ok? I have not priced aluminum except quickly at home depot. Plywood would be easiest for attaching shelves etc.

Comment

Why not insulate then use r panel or Tin on the inside?

My dad had aluminum siding on the inside of his.

Comment

Can you buy tin that is not galvanized? Or is that considered sheet metal? I've got lots of old rusty tin to choose from.

Comment

Ever thought of hardie board siding?

Comment

Kind of. A little harder to cut and don’t have the special blade. Might be better in the heat department.

Comment

Don't have to have the special blade for it just cut with a carbide blade, just like wood, it dulls the blade but just use the blade for cutting hardie

Comment

I don't think r panel is galvanized. It comes painted but not sure what's under that paint.

Comment

Working...
                          X