Hey married guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey married guys...

My wife and I have been married almost 11 years, next weekend to be precise.

Like all marriages we have had our ups and downs, thankfully more ups than downs. Anyhow, she encouraged me to read "The five languages of love" by dr.gary chapman. I won't get into the specifics of the whole book, but basically falling in love is the easy part, staying in love takes work.

I recommend it to anyone who has been married more than a couple of years. Like I said, I think we have a pretty good marriage but this opened up my eyes to some things that I can do personally to be a better husband, as well as for my wife to be a better wife

It certainly takes work.....and forgiveness by both.
    No way not to hurt the one you love but there is a way to keep that hurt from festering into resentment. There have been a few spells in 14 years I was not sure we were going to make it but we both refused to take the easy way out and when those times pass its better than ever

Comment

Very good book.

Comment

About 11 years ago my wife and I watched one of his videos. I think it saved our marriage. It explained so much about why we were struggling. Now if we are in a rough spot one of us will say "Your not speaking my language." That seems to get us back on track.

Comment

My wife and I read it before we got married. Good book.

Comment

Still reading through it. Lot of truth in that book

Comment

My wife and I have made it 54 years and we still havent killed one another. Lol. Hang in there , the best is yet to come. I guess the hardest thing I had to learn was that every feeling, thought or urge I had, every single one, at one time or other, she was having too. Makes you stop and think don’t it?

Comment

Women need to read that book and understand physical touch is the main language for 95 percent of us men folk. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                  Women need to read that book and understand physical touch is the main language for 95 percent of us men folk. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That's what I thought at first as well. The more I got into the book, words of affirmation followed by physical touch is more me

Comment

Been married 8 years. We have been through a lot, but marriage has been easy for us. Can't explain it, but no marital problems at all. Only a handful of "fights".
                    We have read the book and been through classes at church and through the foster system.

Comment

Proper care and feeding of husbands........

23 years

Comment

Comment

The divorce rate of parents who have lost a child is high. I consider my marriage strong and it didn’t come from reading a book. But if that’s what works for some, I’m all for it.

27 here.

Comment

Coming up on 40 yrs this year, and yes sometimes it's hard for me to decipher female speak, I just gotta remember to keep listening, she'll get to the point eventually. Then remind her that just because I get to the point doesn't mean I'm upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              The divorce rate of parents who have lost a child is high. I consider my marriage strong and it didn’t come from reading a book. But if that’s what works for some, I’m all for it.

27 here.
                              Jeff, I can't imagine honestly, and you and your wife are definitely stronger than most. In my opinion, any strong marriage needs to be based in faith, which having never met you but read thousands of your posts I'm sure your marriage is! So congrats on 27 years, honestly quite the accomplishment everything considered!

This book is also faith based which was refreshing

Comment

Working...
                              X