Let's see your feeder pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your feeder pens

I plan on getting a protein feeder in the near future and want to pen it up to keep the pigs and cattle out. I'm thinking about using 8 20' panels and figuring on 2 t posts per panel, possibly 3. I'm open to ideas on how to do it right, and I'll search the DIY section for help as well.

In the meantime, show me your feeder pen. Does it work for you? Would you/have you modified it to make it better?

Pens

I don't have my pens built, but have read quite a few posts about them and kind of know how mine will look someday.

First, I would use a minimum of 12 panels and over lap the panels one hole to make it stronger where they butt up against each other. Use 25 t-posts for a 12 panel feed pen where one will be at ends and one in middle on each panel. (Bigger is better as far as making them feel more comfortable in the pen). I also would notch out the area by my pop up or bow blind to encourage the deer to come to the low side to get in and I'll have a better odds of them giving me a shot at them eating some hand corn before entering. Deer will enter where it's easiest most of the time. Some people notch out a few places on the bottom so fawns can go in with the does. If their babies can't get in, they will be reluctant to go in. Some people have even bigger pens, a 12 panel pen is the minimum if I were building one. There are quite a few threads on here about feed pens, just do a search like you said and I bet they will save you some time and effort of redoing them later. Good luck with the new pens.

Comment

I used 6 panels and deer are seem to be comfortable. I have pics of at least 9 deer in pen at once.

Comment

[ATTACH]696924[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]696926[/ATTACH]

Comment

nice feeder pen there

Comment

Originally posted by dogman11 View Post
              I don't have my pens built, but have read quite a few posts about them and kind of know how mine will look someday.

First, I would use a minimum of 12 panels and over lap the panels one hole to make it stronger where they butt up against each other. Use 25 t-posts for a 12 panel feed pen where one will be at ends and one in middle on each panel. (Bigger is better as far as making them feel more comfortable in the pen). I also would notch out the area by my pop up or bow blind to encourage the deer to come to the low side to get in and I'll have a better odds of them giving me a shot at them eating some hand corn before entering. Deer will enter where it's easiest most of the time. Some people notch out a few places on the bottom so fawns can go in with the does. If their babies can't get in, they will be reluctant to go in. Some people have even bigger pens, a 12 panel pen is the minimum if I were building one. There are quite a few threads on here about feed pens, just do a search like you said and I bet they will save you some time and effort of redoing them later. Good luck with the new pens.
              Over lap the panels 2 squares. This will give you three wires overlapped. The T post goes in the middle of the over lap. You will only have one outside and one inside the pin seam. Really secure the outside the pin seam so the hogs can't tear into it at all. We use zip ties on all three overlaps

Comment

16 hog panels. I tried to use trees to tie off to as much as possible because of the rock.

The panels for right up to the blind. And the feeder is a 20yard shot. Another 5-7 yards behind the feeder so 25-27 yards deep.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ShockValue; 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Here are a few of mine

Comment

12 panels at one of our Buffets

Comment

Feeder pens are just miniature High Fences...
                      Last edited by davidamfan; 03-01-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Miniature high fence= awesome oxymoron. Lol

Comment

Here is a trick if you have rocks and trouble getting T-post in the ground. Get a long masonry drill bit and drill into the ground, then stick rebar into the hole and tie to the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
                            I plan on getting a protein feeder in the near future and want to pen it up to keep the pigs and cattle out. I'm thinking about using 8 20' panels and figuring on 2 t posts per panel, possibly 3. I'm open to ideas on how to do it right, and I'll search the DIY section for help as well.

In the meantime, show me your feeder pen. Does it work for you? Would you/have you modified it to make it better?
                            With that many panels you can build at least 2 and maybe 3 pens.

Comment

Working...
                            X