Antelope Huntin Wyoming.. Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever hunted public land out there? I want to get the license, drive up, pack a tent, rifle and walk in. I've read on their websites about getting licensed and other info. I'm a little confused about, is it required to go in with an outfitter or a resident? Can i just go alone? If a resident or outfitter is required do you have any recommendations? I'd love to keep this a budget hunt and not have a guide if i dont have to. I have some vacation time and I'm ready to burn it. Tags draw May 31st. Any info or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

You don't have to have a guide. You only have to have a guide to hunt the designated WILDERNESS areas in WY. These are mainly high in the mountains and don't normally apply to antelope hunting.

Application deadline is sometime in May. You can draw a tag with zero preference points and go hunt this year. The units you can draw with zero points will have less public land and will be a little tougher to navigate. You will need a gps or phone with one of the public/private mapping features. I'm saving up a few points and plan on going on a little "easier" (more public land) hunt in a few years. Planning on hunting deer and elk there in the next two years. Already have some points built up for them. I hear it is a blast though and you can get it done in all the units if you put a little work into it. Supposedly the most fun you can have with your clothes on

Comment

bump interested in this also

Comment

Super easy. Also don't need a tent. Lots of goats in Wyoming. Shoot me pm with your number and I will fill you in.

Comment

Great info guys.. thank you! LuBowhunter, I'll pm you after work, i gotta big presentation tomorrow morning I'm still finalizing!

Comment

Its been 5 or 6 years ago but I think we hunted out of Gillett and 3 of us shot 6 in two days. It was pretty easy however I cant recall the unit number. We bought over the counter tags so no draw for us.

Comment

bump for more info, a buddy and I have been talking about doing this for a couple years now

Comment

You might want to check the draw odds. The units with public land can't be drawn with few points anymore. I've been hunting goats in Wyoming for ten years or more, and I've seen the odds get worse every year in the units with mostly private. We used to draw every year and there were tags leftover. Not anymore. The public land units take several points to draw, at least the ones that I'm familiar with. Also, the goats you see from the highway are mostly on private. Easy hunting with a rifle. We mostly bow hunted from pop-ups on waterholes. It's lots of fun, good luck to you !
                Attached Files

Comment

I did it this fall with a couple buddies of mine. Super easy, use the Wyo DFG website and their hunt planner. Look for units with higher success rates to draw.

I put in for the more expensive draw, making my chances greater for drawing a tag, and then picked up some leftover doe tags in areas that were harder to find public land or access to public land as not all roads are public. I used OnX Hunt Maps, and it was pretty good for boundaries, not so much for roads (use the county's website for road access).

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                    I did it this fall with a couple buddies of mine. Super easy, use the Wyo DFG website and their hunt planner. Look for units with higher success rates to draw.

I put in for the more expensive draw, making my chances greater for drawing a tag, and then picked up some leftover doe tags in areas that were harder to find public land or access to public land as not all roads are public. I used OnX Hunt Maps, and it was pretty good for boundaries, not so much for roads (use the county's website for road access).
                    Nice avatar!

Comment

Me and 4 others hunted unit 48 back in 2011. All 4 of us killed good bucks. Join hunting fool or some similar type deal and tell them what type of hunt you want. Best 100 bucks you will spend. Hunting fool gives you a list of folks who hunted last season who are willing to talk and give tips. I'm still in touch with one of the guys I talked to, he's offered to help me kill a moose in Maine.

Comment

Hunted Wyoming last year, lots of fun.

Comment

Stay local(Texas)...contact J-J matt on tbh for goat hunt of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                            Stay local(Texas)...contact J-J matt on tbh for goat hunt of a lifetime.

Pay 5 times as much also

Comment

Antelope hunting is one thing Texas is definitely not the best for but I've seen some huge goats in NM. I've always heard Wyoming is your best bag for the dollar in these type hunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X