Long(ish) range ar15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long(ish) range ar15?

Been reading different info for a couple weeks and I think I have my mind made up but as always turn to the green screen for advice.

Looking to build up the lower I have in the safe for long range (up to 1k but mostly 5-800yd) shooting. Is there a better caliber in the ar15 platform than 6.5grendel? Not worried about it being a hunting rig as I have rifles for that. I looked at the .224valkerie but the info I saw seemed that the Grendel was still more favored. For those that know what do you recommend. Right now it’s just a sons of liberty lower with a cmc trigger

What about a 22 nosler? But, looks like those both favor as distance cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      What about a 22 nosler? But, looks like those both favor as distance cartridge.
      I haven’t looked at that, thanks

Comment

You’re on the right track. Stick with the Grendel.

Comment

Grendel

Comment

Grendel for sure if you’re stuck on a small frame.

Comment

Grendel. 224 has the potential if they get the barrel right. Some shoot lights out and some not good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Grendel for sure if you’re stuck on a small frame.
                It’s what I’ve already got in the safe and I’ve had it for almost 3 years now and never done anything with it. All you guys talking about long range shoot so not I want to have a toy to get myself just addicted enough that I’ll end up needing to jump in on one of the APR builds or something that will really get out there

Comment

Is this just for target shooting? If so, don’t Dismiss the lil ole .223. I’ve got 2 that I built for cross country team matches that I shoot. One is a 20” and one is an 18”. I have no problem out to 800yds on appropriate size steel with either one of them. Placed in the top 3 a couple of times with them. LC brass loaded with 8208 and a Berger 77gr OTM. Same load shoots in both rifles.

Nothing at all against the Grendel. I’m sure it does very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                    Is this just for target shooting? If so, don’t Dismiss the lil ole .223. I’ve got 2 that I built for cross country team matches that I shoot. One is a 20” and one is an 18”. I have no problem out to 800yds on appropriate size steel with either one of them. Placed in the top 3 a couple of times with them. LC brass loaded with 8208 and a Berger 77gr OTM. Same load shoots in both rifles.

It will probably be 90% target shooting. I didn’t think about .223, my 5.56 is just an m&p15 which does fine and is a good truck gun if I don’t take my sbr. This build will be just for getting in to long range target shooting

Comment

This is one of the few times that I would lean towards Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        Been reading different info for a couple weeks and I think I have my mind made up but as always turn to the green screen for advice.

Looking to build up the lower I have in the safe for long range (up to 1k but mostly 5-800yd) shooting. Is there a better caliber in the ar15 platform than 6.5grendel? Not worried about it being a hunting rig as I have rifles for that. I looked at the .224valkerie but the info I saw seemed that the Grendel was still more favored. For those that know what do you recommend. Right now it’s just a sons of liberty lower with a cmc trigger

I wish I had a place around Baton Rouge to stretch mine out. The shooting ranges around Baton Rouge are terrible for anything past 100 yards.

Comment

I have a 223 that shoots really well out to 600y. My Grendel with a Krieger barrel will shoot lights out but it is VERY ammo sensitive. I reload so not really a problem, but it took awhile to find a load it liked. Build the lower the way you want and then you can always trade out uppers. That's what I do with my 223 and 6.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            I wish I had a place around Baton Rouge to stretch mine out. The shooting ranges around Baton Rouge are terrible for anything past 100 yards.

We’ve been lucky up here and a couple have opened around DFW in the last couple years. I still haven’t shot past 300 but there are places within an hour of me that go to 2,000

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post

This! I think the .223 is a great little round, especially for targets and training and if loaded with that purpose (i.e. good brass, propped prep, heavy bullets, etc.). About to build one for a customer unless I give him his action back. **** 700 is out of time bad enough to need it completely overhauled, bolt handle and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X