Creedmoor to PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Yes you can, the 6.5 PRC reamer will remove all of the old 6.5 CM chamber.

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
      You're right, I totally forgot about the 6 foot drop tube method
      You'd have better luck with a mortar and pestle.

Note: To anyone getting ideas. It's a joke, changing the powder size affects the burn rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        You're right, I totally forgot about the 6 foot drop tube method
        Sorry, I hadn’t been watching the thread. RL-26 in creedmoor will consistently get up to 2900 pushing eldxen with no pressure signs. It’s not quite there. It isn’t as accurate in as many guns as H4350. Nothing is, in my experience. But some guns shoot it well, and over 2900 fps.

The broader thought from my perspective is that when I think “hm, the creedmoor may not quite be enough for this” I don’t wish for 200 more fps, I reach for the 300 win mag - when I am in doubt I reach for a big step up, not a tiny step up.

I’m interested to hear from others, when is prc the right choice where creedmoor wouldn’t be? The discussion I’ve heard has sounded like “yeah, but this one goes to eleven”.

Comment

Further, Hornady’s marketing seems explicitly to be “PRC: this one goes to 11”. Which is pretty shrewd marketing, no doubt. I’m just not sure what it’s for, exactly. Long (long) range antelope or sheep but you don’t want to step up to a Nosler cartridge, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            Further, Hornady’s marketing seems explicitly to be “PRC: this one goes to 11”. Which is pretty shrewd marketing, no doubt. I’m just not sure what it’s for, exactly. Long (long) range antelope or sheep but you don’t want to step up to a Nosler cartridge, I guess.
            Isnt all of the creedmore marketing just shrewd marketing for a gun that really doesnt "replace" or do better than whats already out there?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              Isnt all of the creedmore marketing just shrewd marketing for a gun that really doesnt "replace" or do better than whats already out there?
              100% agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                Sorry, I hadn’t been watching the thread. RL-26 in creedmoor will consistently get up to 2900 pushing eldxen with no pressure signs. It’s not quite there. It isn’t as accurate in as many guns as H4350. Nothing is, in my experience. But some guns shoot it well, and over 2900 fps.

The broader thought from my perspective is that when I think “hm, the creedmoor may not quite be enough for this” I don’t wish for 200 more fps, I reach for the 300 win mag - when I am in doubt I reach for a big step up, not a tiny step up.

I’m interested to hear from others, when is prc the right choice where creedmoor wouldn’t be? The discussion I’ve heard has sounded like “yeah, but this one goes to eleven”.
                No, this one doesn't go to eleven, I agree. It does go to nine though As far as when it's the better choice...... I think a guy doing more hunting than target killing will get more out of the PRC. It brings all of the "easy out of the box" benefits of the CM, but with a little more horsepower.

If you go by the mystical "1,000 ft lbs of energy" minimum that gets thrown around a lot, the PRC will get you to approx 900 yds where the CM is running short at about the 700 yard mark. Of course those numbers get better as you close the distance to more realistic average hunting ranges, making the PRC more suitable across the board for heavier game than deer.

Just like the CM, the main advantage or attraction to this cartridge ain't any kind of magic. Its reasonably priced, high quality ammo available to the masses. I have some issues with the round based on the physical dimensions Hornady chose to release the factory ammo with, but make no mistake - it is the most accurate factory ammo with some of the lowest ES/SD numbers I have ever seen. Has been true across at least a dozen different platforms so far.

Like everything else, hand loading takes this one to the next level from a velocity/energy perspective compared to factory loads. But accuracy is available right from a box, and the price paid in recoil is cheap. That probably makes it an attractive choice for a lot of folks as well.

Comment

Thanks, that's helpful. I know I won't impress anyone on the message boards when I say that when contemplating hitting an animal's vitals, 900 yards is a really, really, *really* long way off. So I'm glad 6.5 PRC has more energy for the guys who want to do so and I now understand better what the niche is.

Comment

Working...
                  X