Unusual encounters while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual encounters while hunting

To start this off I was deer hunting in bowie county a few years back and had an encounter with a horned owl. I found a perfect pine overlooking a draw that created a funnel.The next morning I slip in well before daylight and climb that pine tree with my climbing stand. Right at daylight a big horned owl lit on a limb right beside me. I could have spit on him he was so close. He didnt fly off untill I went to get down. I watched him all morning. He would look rite at me at times. They are the most evil looking bird you will ever see. Next morning he lit in the same spot. I watched him the entire morning again. It was an encounter I will never forget. Ican say I have hunted with a horned owl.

Had the same thing happen to me with a Red Tail chicken hawk. Was pretty neat how good there eye sight is. Was in a 15ft ladder stand and he landed about arms length away to my right and that thing would pick up the slightest movement and zone in on it. Saw a bobcat because of it and no squirrels appeared at the feeder which was nice

Comment

Had a buddy climb into his tree stand one morning and I was on top of a hill about 400 yards away. I see his flash light shining all over the place for about 10 minutes. After the morning hunt we meet back at the truck and I asked him what the heck he was doing with that light. He said something kept flying around his stand in the dark. He said it took him about 10 minutes to figure out that it was flying squirrels leaving the tree he had climbed. Glad it was him and not me!

Comment

I was sitting in the blind one evening with my brother. We were waiting for some yotes that would come to the feeders every night. Just as the sun is setting we start hearing what sounds like someone slapping two pieces of 2X4s far off in the distance behind the blind. We paid no attention to it but then as it begins to get dark I see a light to my left off in the distance and it seems like it is coming right to us only every once in a while it shoots off into the sky and back down to ground level. My brother and I continue to look at it then all of sudden the noise coming from behind us stops. and the light shoots off into the sky one last time and doesn't come back.

So we turn back to to look at the feeder but can't help looking to the direction where the light was last seen and we even stuck other heads out of the blind a few time to look behind where the noise is coming from and nothing. So we just try to put it behind us and hope our noise and movement has not ruined the hunt. While 20 to 30 minutes pass and it finally gets completely dark. All of a sudden the noise is back and sounds like it is getting closer! Really closer! At this point we both look out the side of the blind towards the back shining our flashlights and still nothing.

We sit back down, he gets his shotgun and I get my .30-06 wondering what the hell is making that noise. The noise is getting closer and now it sounds like something is walking or pacing right behind the blind. I yelled "who's there" about three times but it sounded like it was getting closer and closer. So at this time we have the flashlights on and are standing up ready for anything. Finally I could not take it so I bust out the back of the blind with my brother following and shining flashlights everywhere and nothing! The sound stops! We didn't know what to make of it, as far as we know we where the only ones out there and no one had problems with us. No one lives out there and we are about 7 a 8 mile from the road.

We went back to camp and at about 10:30 we can here the noise again in the distance. Eventually it starts getting closer again so I start banging on some rocks with a shovel and it stops. It has never happen again and we told rancher and he says he has seen some lights the way we describe and even heard the noise before when he used to go out at night. He says that is why he don't go out there at night alone anymore. lol Even other hunters have said that when they get ready to go to bed in their trailer or tent they see lights coming towards them like someone driving up the driveway so they open their trailer door or tent and there is nothing, light disappears. It's nuts and I laugh about it now and try to think some one is playing a big joke but it sure did scare the heck out of me and brother that night. I hope it ain't some jack*** playing a joke because had they gone further they might have gotten some lead injections. Sorry for the long read.

Comment

Okay, that would have scared the dog snot out of me!

Comment

I was in one of my tree stands about 15 ft. in the air one morning and was dozing off and on before first light. Imagine dozing, open eyes to see if it's light yet or not and repeating the same thing then all of a sudden I hear this crazy flying noise super close... A danged road runner flew up into my blind with me and we stared each other down for about 30 secs and then he finally skirted back down the tree blind to the ground. I don't have a back door on this particular blind so I dang near feel out of that stand backwards!So, imagine being half asleep and a freaking road runner landing in your blind, yeah, about lost it. I made so much noise that I'm sure the deer were like, yeah right,
            I'm not stupid! HA

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
              I was sitting in the blind one evening with my brother. We were waiting for some yotes that would come to the feeders every night. Just as the sun is setting we start hearing what sounds like someone slapping two pieces of 2X4s far off in the distance behind the blind. We paid no attention to it but then as it begins to get dark I see a light to my left off in the distance and it seems like it is coming right to us only every once in a while it shoots off into the sky and back down to ground level. My brother and I continue to look at it then all of sudden the noise coming from behind us stops. and the light shoots off into the sky one last time and doesn't come back.

So we turn back to to look at the feeder but can't help looking to the direction where the light was last seen and we even stuck other heads out of the blind a few time to look behind where the noise is coming from and nothing. So we just try to put it behind us and hope our noise and movement has not ruined the hunt. While 20 to 30 minutes pass and it finally gets completely dark. All of a sudden the noise is back and sounds like it is getting closer! Really closer! At this point we both look out the side of the blind towards the back shining our flashlights and still nothing.

We sit back down, he gets his shotgun and I get my .30-06 wondering what the hell is making that noise. The noise is getting closer and now it sounds like something is walking or pacing right behind the blind. I yelled "who's there" about three times but it sounded like it was getting closer and closer. So at this time we have the flashlights on and are standing up ready for anything. Finally I could not take it so I bust out the back of the blind with my brother following and shining flashlights everywhere and nothing! The sound stops! We didn't know what to make of it, as far as we know we where the only ones out there and no one had problems with us. No one lives out there and we are about 7 a 8 mile from the road.

We went back to camp and at about 10:30 we can here the noise again in the distance. Eventually it starts getting closer again so I start banging on some rocks with a shovel and it stops. It has never happen again and we told rancher and he says he has seen some lights the way we describe and even heard the noise before when he used to go out at night. He says that is why he don't go out there at night alone anymore. lol Even other hunters have said that when they get ready to go to bed in their trailer or tent they see lights coming towards them like someone driving up the driveway so they open their trailer door or tent and there is nothing, light disappears. It's nuts and I laugh about it now and try to think some one is playing a big joke but it sure did scare the heck out of me and brother that night. I hope it ain't some jack*** playing a joke because had they gone further they might have gotten some lead injections. Sorry for the long read.
              Great I'm heading to the stand now and am going to be nervous lol

Comment

Great read Loreva13

Comment

Was sitting in my tree stand early morning before daylight when something hit me hard just above the right bicept. I hit the light but could not see anything. Just when it got light enough to make a few things out I cought something coming my way threw the tree and wham! hit me in the same spot. That time in lit on a limb just to the right of me. A small owl. Have no clue what kind but he just stood there looking at me like I tried to catch you twice and your just sitting there? The cammo I was wearing had a light colored leaf just above my bicept so I think he has going for that. It was kinda cool.

Comment

took my nephew hunting one day, doing the nap before daylight deal i wake up when ya can barely see, my nephew drooling next to me and next to him was a dingy fork horn laying almost in his lap, tapped him on the side he wakes up and almost runs me over getting away lol, he was sleeping a bit to hard i guess and i think that deer is still running , only thing we could think of why it would do that was it was snowing and we was a warmer spot to lay near.

Comment

a trespasser

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_hunter89 View Post
                        Great I'm heading to the stand now and am going to be nervous lol
                        I'm glad just read that cuz I'm in the blind and it's daylight already

Comment

Wetbacks

Comment

I was sitting on a 15 ft tripod one time in Mason, had my headnet on and the only part of me that was above the branches and all of a sudden something hits me hard in the back of my head almost knocking me off the tripod. A redtail hawk must have thought my headnet was a squirrel or a bird up there. And just for reference it doesn't do any good cussing at a redtail hawk, they just sit there and look at you.

Comment

Was sitting in a quad pod a few years ago, with my bow in lap and arrow knocked. A little finch came and landed on my arrow, looked around a few seconds and then took off. Thought that was cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X