Crossbow advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow advice

Due to past shoulder injury I am switching to a crossbow. Went from a compound with harsh draw cycle to a recurve then a long bow. Going to miss the trad stuff. I just can't do it anymore. So....what crossbow do you recommend

Spend the extra money and get an Excalibur. No need for a bow shop and you can repair pretty much everything yourself. Tough as nails.

Comment

Excalibur. Cheaper in the long way and will last way way longer than those with cams. trust me, I've been there.

Comment

X2 Excalibur all the way!!

Comment

Sniper 370 affordable, accurate, fast, and dependable.

Comment

Excalibur for sure, will be my next purchase. We currently have a Barnett Recruit Recurve(fairly inexpensive) since are new to the game and have small shooters. It's been great so far and all my shooters have loved it! I've had a compound xbow as well in the past but it's really hard to beat the advantages of a recurve xbow.

Comment

Excalibur, but for those that have had shoulder surgery, I have worked with some the draw was too much for them without using the crank.

Compounds will get you plenty of speed without the extra weight needed by the recurve to obtain the same speed.

Tenpoint and Parker crossbows are built in the USA and are reliable bows No more need for a shop with them than a compound bow, that is all they are is a heavy draw compound on a gun stock.

For much less money than any of those the Center Point Sniper 370 is a lot of bow for under $300 and they have been very responsive on the couple calls we have had on them.

Comment

I like the ten-point titan. It is very accurate. Whichever type you decide on, make sure you get a cocking assist device, due to your bad shoulder.

Comment

Excalibur is what I have and it was worth the money.

Comment

I have a Wicked Ridge for my son, it works well. Sorry about your shoulder man. I have some problems with mine and switched to a Mathews NoCam. Very easy to shoot bow.

Comment

I love hunting with a crossbow. I have had three shoulder surgeries, and because of physical therapy, I can draw a bow. Physical therapy made all the difference, but even though I have the choice, I will still choose to hunt with a crossbow sometimes.

I am on a fb group with a ton of people with opinions on the best crossbows. Imagine that. One of my takeaways from many posts is how much people like the Sniper 370. I sometimes wish I had paid less than I did for my Carbon Express Covert CX3 SL.

The Sniper 370 consistently gets rated well with the much pricier brands and models (eg http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/be...money-in-2016/).

If I had a lot more money, I would look into Scorpyd.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you're in - because of my bad shoulder I couldn't pull more than 15lbs. on a bow, so I sold my bow and bought a Killer Instinct (KI-350S) crossbow from a fellow TBH member. I've yet to use it for hunting, but I am very pleased with it.

Here's a link to a previous thread from someone seeking crossbow advice - I provide a reference to a book that you might find useful:

BTW, the short answer to your question - the author recommends recurve crossbows for beginners, and he likes the Excalibur line.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

I have a ten point titan ss with the cranking system. I believe it is called the Acu Draw System. Very easy to use and very accurate.

Comment

If I was going to buy another crossbow I would buy a Scorpyd or Ravin.

Comment

My advice is to get one with some sort of crank or automatic cocking device. If you have shoulder issues, you will not be able to cock the crossbow. I know from experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X