Two Person Ladder Stand Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Person Ladder Stand Help!!

My daughter (13) is going to bowhunt this year. My First thought was to hang two lock ons in a tree. Mom nixed that. Then I thought ground blind, but personally I hate them. So up comes the thought of a 2 person ladder stand, but I know absolutely no one who bowhunts out of them.

SO here goes the list of questions.
    1. Shoot standing, sitting, which is preferred.
    2. Shooting Rail, Up or down?
    3. Any must haves? Things to avoid?
    4. Suggestions on what to buy, my limit is $300
    5. I am 280 and my daughter is 150, is this going to be too much weight.
    6. Purchase the blind fabric kit for them?

Thanks!!

You can build a 10-12' 2 man quad-pod for $300. Do it yourself or find a buddy to help ya make it.

Comment

2 people in 2 man ladder stand is doable for a young kid and a rifle. Not for 2 adult sized and a bow...ain't gonna work.

I suggest a pop up...will conceal movement and if it rains...oh well.

or... a 2 person quad pod. But for a first time bowhunter, give them s much help(conceal movement) as possible.

I built a large box blind on 4' legs 15 years ago. My boys shot a lot of critters from it with their rifles and it since my youngest started bowhunting, it has become his favorite stand to bow hunt from. It has held up well over the years.

Comment

It can work, don't put the shooting rail on, and if you have time to stand on the seat before the shot it even works better. other option is if you can put two single ladder stands up not right beside each other but like 12:00 and 2:00 o'clock. and I'm sure I don't have to tell you safety harness.

Sportsman's Guide has both double and single ladder stands on sale for $100 and $80
        Last edited by Bassdeer; 08-22-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I hunt from ladder stands and love them, but can't imagine 2 people bowhunting from one.

I've built 10' tall 4'x8' quad pods and they work well for 2 people. Put a rail around it about 36" tall and wrap with burlap...safe,comfortable, and plenty of room.

Comment

that's a lot of weight for the 2man ladder stands that I see at academy

Comment

Been hunting out of them for decades. I am 240# and I wouldn't ask my wife to sit with me but they are awesome. I leave the rail down if rifle hunting but bowhunting just lift it up out of the way. I have taken many naps in a treestand. Use a safety belt.
              I took my "hang on" treestands and built ladders for them and attached them permanently with ladders being in sections for storage.

Comment

All the 2 man ladder stands we have up are rated for 300lbs. Pretty sure they will hold more than that. Shooting rail has to be up for bow. We wrap camo burlap around the top for a little more concealment. Always learn to shoot sitting. Standing requires movement. Movement will always get you busted.

Comment

Hmm good and bad responses I guess it is like that with anything. Thanks guys, decision up in the air. Seen some with bigger platforms and flip up seats, might be the way to go. Just more money.

Comment

Gonna be tight two bow hunters I bought several Summit two man ladder stands from Academy don’t remember model but very heavy duty compared to the game winners X Stand also makes a nice heavy duty one and for the ultimate heavy duty try a Monarch just be prepared to fork out $800

Comment

My wife wasn’t too keen on the idea of my son hunting out of a hang-on stand until she watched the LifeLine videos where they’re hooked from ground-to-ground.

Going to need a LifeLine with a ladder stand as well.

Comment

We have used 2 man ladder stands for years. A little different situation in that I weigh rough 150 and all of my girls are smaller than I am. I have found several stands through the years that are rated at 500 pounds. We never ever attach the shooting rails but we only bow hunt.

-john

Comment

you could make a pole stand and attach it to the side of the ladder stand platform. that is what i have been using for my son to hunt with me for 7-8 years but i have it attached to the side of my tripod.

Comment

You are going to need to factor in the safety straps into your budget as well. $300 isn’t going to buy much of a stand plus two full safety systems. Personally, I’d get over my hate for ground stands with my daughter’s safety at stake and be comfortable. Then next year add as you can if she sticks with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              You are going to need to factor in the safety straps into your budget as well. $300 isn’t going to buy much of a stand plus two full safety systems. Personally, I’d get over my hate for ground stands with my daughter’s safety at stake and be comfortable. Then next year add as you can if she sticks with it.
                              This^

Hunting with your kid in a popup is fun. Sure, your field of view is limited. But having more comfort and freedom of movement is great. Being on the ground, face to face with the critters is a cool experience. The concealment gives you more ability to move around, visit, joke a little, try not to laugh out loud, etc. Makes for a more comfortable and easy going time with your kid. I always found that any time I hunted with my kids and I focused on making it a super serious dedicated hunt, we never had nearly as much fun. If your main goal is a serious hunt, go alone. If your main goal is to enjoy a hunt with your daughter and hopefully help her develop a love for the outdoors and hunting, then do whatever it takes to make it fun and enjoyable for HER, even at the expense of the seriousness of the hunt and/or your personal favorite methods.

Comment

Working...
                              X