Non-Compete Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Compete Agreement

I have been talking with a company for a little while now about coming to work for them. Recently, I accepted an offer from them. Today, they asked me to sign a non-compete as part of the pre-employment paperwork. The thing that has me hung up is that it states that if I leave for any reason, I cannot work for a competitor in this area for 2 years.

I have no problem with agreeing to not poach clients, etc., but saying that I can’t even get a job in my area is excessive in my mind. What does the green screen think?

Same thing for my job

1 year not going after customers or hiring techs

Sign that, no probs

Comment

I had to sign one similar to that with my current employer. My research told me that they really don’t hold much water and are hard for the ex employer to do anything about. If the “area” isn’t a specific distance then it for sure won’t hold up.

Comment

Depends on how badly you want the job. I would have to be in your shoes and know the situation to have a firm opinion, but just from what you said I think they are asking a bit much. I come from dirt construction where guys changed jobs more than they changed drawers, so I’ve never been faced with that from either side of the fence.

Comment

I’m my experience, it’s very rare and difficult to go after someone for this. Although, I do know someone who was recently hit with a 80k lawsuit due to switching to a competitor... We’ll see what comes out of it though.

I’m also interested to see what some more knowledgeable folks have to say about this as I’m in contract as well.

Comment

Texas is a right to work state, so they'll have a hard time holding you to the agreement.
            That being said if it's written correctly by a lawyer and they compensate you financially for signing it they can be tough to get out of.

Comment

7 nurses and nurse practitioners here in East Texas are going thru this right now and a judge whom the doctor was a big donor to in the last election upheld the non-compete clause.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Depends on how badly you want the job. I would have to be in your shoes and know the situation to have a firm opinion, but just from what you said I think they are asking a bit much. I come from dirt construction where guys changed jobs more than they changed drawers, so I’ve never been faced with that from either side of the fence.
                I want it but I don’t need it. It will be a little more money, but the retirement benefits are substantially better. Like you I worked construction for years as an electrician. Now I work for a pipeline company as an I&E Tech. This is a new thing for me. Agreeing to basically give up my trade for two years if I leave is dumb. This job is more on the engineering level, so technically I could go back to doing electrical work if I quit but why go backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  Same thing for my job

1 year not going after customers or hiring techs

Sign that, no probs
                  Saggy, did yours say that you can’t even work for competition? I can agree to not take customers.

Comment

I wouldn’t sign it. If they want you bad enough they will have you sign a non-disclosure instead. I just passed up hiring a really good guy due to one. His had an injunction clause in it that basically allows them to block him from working.

I left a **** good job last year because the company was bought out and they wanted me to sign One.

Comment

2 years & for any reason would be hard for me to swallow...I've signed them before but never for more than one year, nor did I have to deal with any conflicts regarding the agreement so have no actual experience.

Comment

Pretty standard in a lot of industries I wouldn’t worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold69 View Post
                          7 nurses and nurse practitioners here in East Texas are going thru this right now and a judge whom the doctor was a big donor to in the last election upheld the non-compete clause.
                          That sounds totally illegal. There should be a big lawsuit over that with a possible removal from the bench.

Comment

Too long of an agreement come back at 6 months and call it good. It’s just the way the world spins today

Comment

Is the size of the “area” specified?

Comment

Working...
                              X