What caliber next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
    Hmmm, but then, I'd have to buy another silencer....an expensive one too....to run those monsters. I don't really shoot rifles without the can anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    True. However, it would be needed when you end up with a 338 Lapua doen the road.....and you'd have component bullets built up too

Comment

Hahaha! I have absolutely zero use for a Lapua, or really anything larger than 30 caliber. I'm not hunting elephants, or Volkswagen's.

Comment

280AI
        6.5-06AI
        30-06AI
        8mm-06AI

Comment

On a long action I'd build a 35 Whelen for Deer up and 7mm-06 AI for Elk down...

Comment

I see it on here several times and the 280ai would be a great choice as well.

So many choices....my hair hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
              I see it on here several times and the 280ai would be a great choice as well.

So many choices....my hair hurts.
              Agreed! I'm leaning very hard toward a 25-06AI, and later on build my magnum action into a 7mm-300WM variant of some sort. The one I really want, the Rogue, is a proprietary reamer though, so I'll either have to go with that smith, or pick something else.

Comment

I hear ya, the 25-06ai is a great choice and will be fun for vermin to deer.

That 7-300 variant is where I'm headed....

Comment

Originally posted by locknload View Post
                  I'm really interested in the new Weatherby 6.5 - 300 Wby Mag cartridge. OTS these cartridges have been consistent and reliable. A little trigger work, accurized on your gun, and excellent optics you can not go wrong. This is a no joke, sledge hammer TAC driver in my opinion. Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be just fine with your own choice.
                  I have one in an Accumark(6.5-300)

Comment

Glad to see there's someone else out there like me. I've got .223, .257, .270, 7mm/08, 7 Mag, 7mm SAUM, and .30/.30. I need something in .243, 6.5 and a different .30.

I'm leaning towards a 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x284, and then a .338 of some manufacture.

I'd go 338/06

Comment

does any of these calibers make something more dead that the other caliber?

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoak20 View Post
                        does any of these calibers make something more dead that the other caliber?
                        Well, yeah. I wouldn't shoot an elk with a 223. But I also wouldn't shoot varmints with a 338.

Comment

25-06 AI is a great choice as you can just shoot over the counter standard ammo in it to fire form the cases to Ackley specs. It may even shoot pretty good with factory 25-06 ammo. The 25-06 AI is a joy to shoot for what it can do. Recoil is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                            Glad to see there's someone else out there like me. I've got .223, .257, .270, 7mm/08, 7 Mag, 7mm SAUM, and .30/.30. I need something in .243, 6.5 and a different .30.

I'm leaning towards a 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x284, and then a .338 of some manufacture.

I'd go 338/06
                            We should combine our collections, then we'd have every bore diameter from 224 - 308 covered.

Comment

but your talking about loading calibers that will do more than factory rounds/cartridges? i don't reload... i'm not knocking you. please explain further? what are you trying to achieve? please teach the amature

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                25-06 AI is a great choice as you can just shoot over the counter standard ammo in it to fire form the cases to Ackley specs. It may even shoot pretty good with factory 25-06 ammo. The 25-06 AI is a joy to shoot for what it can do. Recoil is nothing.
                                That's what I'm thinking, plus, with the right load, it could be an excellent varmint or predator killer as well as deer. Not to mention that basically every gas station, grocery store, hardware store and feed store where I hunt carries 25-06. Not that I've ever found myself without ammo on a hunt, but there's a first time for everything, right? Never know, I could end up on an MLD doe patrol and run out of ammo.....Well, I could happen if I had friends with that kind of hunting property. Right? Anybody? :-D

Comment

Working...
                                X