Product review – Turtleskin snake gaiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product review – Turtleskin snake gaiters

I know everybody loves their brand of snake boot – this post is for those looking for an alternative.
    I decided to try switching to gaiters instead of boots for two reasons. First, I have a somewhat oddly shaped foot - wide and a very high instep – I also have thin calves. (chicken legs, actually) Combined, these factors make it difficult to find pull-on snake boots that fit like they are supposed to. The other reason is, as I have gotten older I need more ankle support than pull-on boots provide, especially when walking on rocky/uneven ground. I thought messing with full-lace snake boots would eventually become a PIA so I started researching gaiters. I had snake gaiters long ago – the plastic “stove pipe” style are terribly uncomfortable, and I didn’t care for the buckle type either. After reading reviews I settled on Turtleskin Snake Armor.

The first thing I noticed is how light they are – like 6 oz. apiece. They are made from some patented weave of high-strength ballistic fiber and polyester. The company says they have been extensively tested with live rattlers and cottonmouths. The zippers seem heavy-duty. I walked around in these gaiters at the lease all last weekend and they were very comfortable, cactus-proof and much cooler than my old Danner snake boots that finally wore out.

The convenience of gaiters is a plus as well. When you get back to the camp house or need to run into town you just pull them off - to me that beats changing footwear, then having to change again before you go back out in the woods. The convenience also makes me more likely to wear them.

The only negative as far as I’m concerned is the price - $150. I know you could buy boots for that but I wanted a quality alternative.
    Last edited by jerp; 10-20-2017, 07:41 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting. My Chips are losing their soles. Gonna cost me a hundo to fix them, and I already have some comfy lacers. May need to look into these. Thanks!

Comment

Good write up.......maybe time will get a lower price

Comment

Is there any noise factor in these John? Waterproof or water repellant?

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
            Is there any noise factor in these John? Waterproof or water repellant?
            They make a slight "swishing" noise when you walk through brush but it's not particularly loud. The company claims they are water resistant enough to keep your legs dry when walking through wet grass but I can't speak to that from personal experience yet.

Comment

Great thread; thanks for sharing... How are these about staying in place?? Curious if they don't start riding up on your leg? I have been contemplating a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Great thread; thanks for sharing... How are these about staying in place?? Curious if they don't start riding up on your leg? I have been contemplating a pair.
                There is elastic around the ankle - I have not had a problem with them riding up but some people do, according to the reviews I read. That's what those three grommets are for. Some will run another lace through the laces on top of the boot then through the grommets to secure them. Or, run a lace under the heel then through the grommets, tied on top.

Comment

These things are the cats meow!!! They don't ride up, they don't move, just take a piece of paracord and tie them in to your bottom boot lace. My only gripe is the zippers kinda suck. Buck thorns, stickers, briars can't touch them, they're flexible and not too hot. Pair of shorts and these are my go to during summer scouting and working in snake territory.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    There is elastic around the ankle - I have not had a problem with them riding up but some people do, according to the reviews I read. That's what those three grommets are for. Some will run another lace through the laces on top of the boot then through the grommets to secure them. Or, run a lace under the heel then through the grommets, tied on top.
                    Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                    These things are the cats meow!!! They don't ride up, they don't move, just take a piece of paracord and tie them in to your bottom boot lace. My only gripe is the zippers kinda suck. Buck thorns, stickers, briars can't touch them, they're flexible and not too hot. Pair of shorts and these are my go to during summer scouting and working in snake territory.
                    Thanks for the info felllas. I am going to get me a set. Been walking around for over 16 years in rattle bug brush without any kind of protection so I figure my luck is fixing to run out.. Walked up on three rattle bugs the other evening and have been walking around uneasy since then. It sucks to walk in tigh high brush in the dark after the dang bugs rattle at you.

Comment

I looked at these many years ago but the price was too high. The price is still high but not out of line with a pair of quality snake boots. A person would still need footwear capable of stopping a strike to the foot. Very interesting, Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Ya might look at the Foreeverlast gaiters. I bought a pair at Academy for under $40 because my La Crosse started rubbing the ankle on my left foot raw.

Comment

Great info!

Comment

Thanks Jeep.
                            I am not much of a boot guy but have been thinking about gaiters for sometime.
                            Guess I might as well order a set

Comment

I'll have to look into these, thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                              X