Handyman electrical work legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    I would not hire you because if any damage occurred because of the work you did, my insurance would not cover it. You would have to be licensed and bonded.
    that language isn't in any standard homeowner policy, nor any Lloyd policy that I've ever read.

what carrier wrote your policy?

Comment

Following

Comment

You might look into a residential appliance installers license.
        Not positive but I think it will allow you to change light fixtures.
        TDLR will have all clarifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
          Well, remember electricity burns homes down. NEC (National Electric Code) basically comes from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).
          Electricity should never burn down a house. If installed incorrectly or faulty components, then maybe. I think that is the point you are trying to make.

Comment

I've done most of the electrical in my house. Had a guy over that was looking at doing some AC work. Asked me who did my electric work when he was in my bathroom looking at a new service box that I had ran. I asked him why- he said it was done very neat and tidy and most people don't take their time. I laughed and he was surprised when I told him it was me. I have since looked at some done in new houses and see what he is talking about - all my wiring was measured and cut to fit instead of cut and then find a place to snake the excess

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1313 View Post
              NO and No. Here is all the info you need. https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/electricians/elecfaq.htm
              Thanks for the link. That pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

Ceiling fans yes, light fixtures no, go figure

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
                  The lady or the fan
                  Was it located over her Bed???

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                    You cannot legally do electrical work in the State of Texas without proper licensing. It does not matter if you are in the city, county, or anywhere else. Yes, plenty of people get away with it. Alot of them keep the electricians busy...
                    I guess I missed the sign at the Electrical Aisles at Lowes and Home Depot that says: "Only proper licensed electricians in the State of Texas allowed"

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                      I guess I missed the sign at the Electrical Aisles at Lowes and Home Depot that says: "Only proper licensed electricians in the State of Texas allowed"
                      I’m not trying to be a smart*** when I posted that. Then Man asked if it was legal to do it for his business, and it is absolutely not. Pretty simple. It’s funny you mention HD and Lowe’s though. I have been in there quite a few times and overheard their “Electrical Pro” giving wrong advice to a home owner.

Comment

You can work on your own house and burn it down legally. You just can’t legally do it on someone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I've done most of the electrical in my house. Had a guy over that was looking at doing some AC work. Asked me who did my electric work when he was in my bathroom looking at a new service box that I had ran. I asked him why- he said it was done very neat and tidy and most people don't take their time. I laughed and he was surprised when I told him it was me. I have since looked at some done in new houses and see what he is talking about - all my wiring was measured and cut to fit instead of cut and then find a place to snake the excess
                          Against NEC for panel to be in a bathroom. Which will come in to play if home is ever sold.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually a home owner can do their own electrical work but can not hire someone unless they have a masters license in Texas. There maybe city or county codes that limit this but unless the electrical codes changed since I took them that is what it is. I have wired a couple of my own houses but never hired myself out as I am not a master nor do I consider myself an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                              Actually a home owner can do their own electrical work but can not hire someone unless they have a masters license in Texas. There maybe city or county codes that limit this but unless the electrical codes changed since I took them that is what it is. I have wired a couple of my own houses but never hired myself out as I am not a master nor do I consider myself an electrician.
                              And must hold a Electrical Contractor License too.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                                I’m not trying to be a smart*** when I posted that. Then Man asked if it was legal to do it for his business, and it is absolutely not. Pretty simple. It’s funny you mention HD and Lowe’s though. I have been in there quite a few times and overheard their “Electrical Pro” giving wrong advice to a home owner.

This happens a lot. It’s horrifying to think about what their “experts” dispense on a daily basis.

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

Unfortunately no. They define an appliance as something that is fixed in place (think dishwasher or oven)

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                                Sad part is that a good percentage of master electricians have grandfathered licenses and aren't worth a damm.

There were even more journeyman that were grandfathered in than masters. Most of them aren’t worth a **** either.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                You can work on your own house and burn it down legally. You just can’t legally do it on someone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post

Just having a masters license isn’t enough any more. You have to go through the whole process of getting a contractor license, and to get that, you must have enough insurance.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                                X