Misaligned gate hinge solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for leaving it alone.

It seems to hang acceptably to you while closed. A gate’s only reason for existence is to be closed.

Unless it hits the dirt before opening fully, I’m not sure why it’s important that it hang straight while open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
      It won't matter if you move the ring on the gate. The pivot point will still be out of level and the gate will still swing out of level. Tap the top pin one way and the bottom pin the other way to get it closer to level while in the open position. You probably won't have to bend them very far if you bend both pins. The adjusting of the pins with the nuts just adjusts it in the closed position. Bending the pins is adjusting it in the open position.
      This would be the easiest way to do it. Essentially, you're getting the pins plumb, in both directions.

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
      Redneck in me says “sledgehammer to the bottom pin”. Busy man in me says “Does it keep the livestock in/out? If yes then go to the next chore”.
      I like this answer too!

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
        Redneck in me says “sledgehammer to the bottom pin”. Busy man in me says “Does it keep the livestock in/out? If yes then go to the next chore”.
        WINNER !!! If it closes, move on to the next item on the list. Unless it is a entry way gate to the house or property where lots of folks see it. As long as it closes, it is doing its job.

Comment

Push the post with a tractor

Comment

Tannerite with video??

Is it hard to close or drag the ground? If not, like said, move on to huntin or beer drinkin.

Comment

This sure escalated quickly

Its the entry gate to the property, it drags the ground 3' before full open. Its bubble level (the ground below it is pretty close). I am needing to lower the gate in an effort to keep dogs in, it needs to be roughly 6-8" lower. I also want to put an automatic opener on it. Therefore it needs to be level when opened and closed (I assume).

I like the sledge hammer idea. Bending the allthread of the pins. May need to get longer allthread portion first. Its a 9" post and there's no thread visible.

The post went budge. Maybe if I hit it at speed, but ide like to avoid that if possible [emoji6]

This gate is my task for today. I'll keep yall posted.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate gates. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                  I hate gates. That is all.

😂 If it's done incorrectly when installed, they're definitely a pain in the hind end to deal with afterwards, if you're working on it by yourself

Comment

6 hours the other day trying to "make it work". Should have just redrilled from the beginning. 1.5 hours including getting the tools and chiseling the post because the bolt was too short (10" post). Now it's level opened and closed!

Comment

Old carpenters rule: Measure twice- cut once

Comment

Even better carpenter rule, get someone that knows what they are doing to do the work in the first place.

Comment

Seems like more time and effort is put into things trying to "make them work" than just taking the time and sucking it up and redoing the work. Been guilty of it many times and probably going to continue to do it in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X