Will He Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will He Survive?

I saw this buck in late January and I noticed he was skinny and had an injured left rear leg. It looks like he got hung up in a hog panel. He is a mature buck that I was hoping for next year or the next. No doubt he's solid this year, but I was waiting for more.

I let him walk. Did I miss my last opportunity? Will he survive? Will his injury make him a freak next year? What would you do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	634 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	25010142

Name:	645 copy.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	25010143

Name:	646 copy.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	25010144

Name:	651 copy.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	25010145

Name:	652 copy.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	25010146

Pics were taken Jan 26th.............

Maybe a stretch but maybe he is still worn down from the rut. That would be my guess. I agree looks like a hog panel injury or something similar.

Deer are tough, tough animals. I'd put money on him surviving and being around come October. He is a great deer and here's to hoping you get a chance at him next season

Comment

Not a pelvis break. Unless the black panther gets him, or bad infection, I'd say hes got good odds

Comment

I bet he makes it. He's feeding, that's a good sign.

Comment

Unless he got an infection bad I doubt he dies...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
            I bet he makes it. He's feeding, that's a good sign.

Comment

He should be fine. I agree with him possibly still being rundown from the rut. As for the injury, I don't think it will slow him down much. It might make him a freak next year, but you should see him none the less.

Comment

I don't see any broken bones and I have seen worse survive. I bet he is around next season. Keep them cameras out and watch for him. Nice deer.

Comment

I had one that was hit by a car. It had a broken back leg. It took it about 5 minutes to walk 20 yards. I called the game warden and he said he could come out and shoot it for me if I wanted (it was out of season). I decided to let it walk and hoped it would make it. The next year that same deer walked into my stand and I took the biggest buck of my life up to that point. The bones were fused together and it looked like he had a grapefruit in his leg, but he walked and acted totally normal. His antlers were also totally normal.

Yours looks bad, but they are strong animals.

Comment

I hope he makes it until next season for you Peyton, but he looks really gaunt in those photos.

If he made it through February I bet he will be ok.

Comment

^^^^ This...

Comment

We lost a really nice 3 year old breeder buck bc he was thin and the cold weather got him. If he made through this week he should be Ok unless he runs into coyotes.

Comment

I would be looking hard for him now. Not sure about your place, but on mine February is the hardest month typically on deer around my grounds.

If he made it through Feb. my money is own him being around another year.

On the horn characteristic question: I have witnessed it both ways, bad injury and horn characteristics changed the following year and even more the second year. But I have also seen injured bucks not show any horn characteristic change from year to year.

I am following this one, please update his progress or death if possible.

Rwc

Comment

With these last cold snaps, it will be tough for him. Hope he makes it , but he looks very poor. That is more than a hard rut, there is something else happening there. Ribs and hip bones are never good.

Comment

will look forward to the answer later this year but I'll bet he's ok

Comment

Working...
                              X