• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combined

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
      Combined
      Yeah, I can see how they're cleaning you out. Just for discussion, if you had a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres, there are potentially 260 deer competing for the 2000#-2500# of feed at your place. My guess is that they're cleaning you out in less than 2 weeks with that many feeders and that many deer. It is an expensive proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by techunter View Post
        Is the native forage as high in protein as the protein pellets? I guess what I'm asking is having plenty of natural forage actually holding back the health of the herd, provided there is always plenty of supplemental protein available?
        In some cases yes. Philary is about 16% and there is a lot of good woody browse and forbes that are in the 18-20% range. Most browse is more digestible and also they won't need as mush free flow water when eating natural browse.

Comment

You are prob close. We are going to do a count later this year and see what our numbers look like. 2015 season will be our second season on this place. They been on solid corn and protein since mid June of last year. I keep pulling deer from neibors and holding them on our place so our numbers are constantly going up.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
            You are prob close. We are going to do a count later this year and see what our numbers look like. 2015 season will be our second season on this place. They been on solid corn and protein since mid June of last year. I keep pulling deer from neibors and holding them on our place so our numbers are constantly going up.
            I feel your pain - drawing neighbor's deer does complicate things BUT if they stay till hunting season, you have a shot at those deer too, if you like. You just have to feed them until then.

Comment

we are behind consumption based on what my buddy reported from feeders last week.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                we are behind consumption based on what my buddy reported from feeders last week.
                I would say this is probably normal for most of Texas as of now, as most areas have seen ALOT of rain in the last 4-5 months

Which is good! Keep on raining

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                  I feel your pain - drawing neighbor's deer does complicate things BUT if they stay till hunting season, you have a shot at those deer too, if you like. You just have to feed them until then.
                  We had good luck last year holding deer we pulled. The protein we feed is really good for holding and pulling deer. Actually the deer I killed was pulled.

Comment

Working...
                  X