Feathers cutting my bow hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems I had this problem with another longbow but can't remember how I solved it (other than I ended up selling the bow!). I know my spine is a little stiff right now bit will spine issues alone resolve it? Bow is a Horne TD longbow and the shelf is very slender. Shoots great just tired of getting cut and hope the answer is not wearing a glove all the time. I tried turning the bock in several different positions but didn't seem to matter. Also it is not song it on every shot?

Wow on the autocorrect! Nock instead of bock and doing instead of song. Lol!

Comment

I've seen several ways of fixing it. From changing the direction of your feathers to raising the shelf with a thicker pad or wearing a glove.

Send me your address and I will send you some bowling stick ons. These are made to go over your finger or thumb allowing the ball to slide out smoothly. I put one on my knuckle and finger when I was shooting a bow that did this. Never got cut again. Have plenty if you want a pack I'll send them your way.

Comment

It's either a grip problem or or you have too much pressure on your bottom finger on yoru drawing hand.

Comment

Thanks moreammo!

Interesting Draco. This bow is a little heavier draw weight...I wonder if I am overcompensate g a bit by

Comment

Dang phone! What I was saying is I wonder if I am overcompensating for a slightly higher draw weight by putting
            more pressure on my bottom finger? Not ruling out a grip issue either.. I will keep shooting and focus on form

Comment

Very interesting Draco. I had the issue on a bow where the shelf was really thin and just a hair above my finger, it shot well so I figured i needed to live with it. I wonder if changing my grip would have fixed it!

Comment

I did that with one of the best shooting bows I ever owned.
                It was a 64" 77# @ 28" Jay Weathers recurve.
                Heck of a bow, but the shelf put the fletching right across my hand every time.
                Switching to left wing feathers fixed the problem, but at the time I had about a million right wingers, so really didn't want to switch to left permanently.

Wound up putting a piece of split 23/64 wood arrow shaft under the shelf cover, and problem solved.

Rick

Comment

A little too much heel in the grip makes the arrow come off the string as if the nock set is too low making the back of the arrow go down as it goes by the bow. The same for too much pressure on the bottom finger. I will start hitting my hand with the feathers about once a year and it is always one or the other that I am doing.

Comment

Great info here! Glad you posted this question! I always learn something from you guys.

The finger stickers are still yours if you want protection while you get it ironed out!

Good luck

Jon

Comment

Agreed! I know I didn't have near this information to go on last time. I will shoot you a pm on those stickers, thanks!

Comment

Are you shooting low or high grip, B? If I remember right, you used to shoot with a high grip. The heavier bow may be causing you to turn your hand further down (raising your wrist) to get your wrist and arm into alignment allowing you to hold more weight. It's a subconscious move. I only figured it out when I went He-Man and shot a 100+lb bow. Those feathers tore me up bad, lol

Comment

Low grip

Comment

I had one bow that I shot and it did that to me every time I shot it. I don't have that bow anymore. None of my other bows have ever done that to me, so I figured it was the way that the grip was made and it was easier to just shoot something else.
                            I hope some of these good suggestions will help you.

Comment

My Adcock longbow wears a thick leather pad on the shelf for this reason. Otherwise, I'd be pulling feather quills out of my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X