Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show of hands...open discussion, who has killed a nalgai with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show of hands...open discussion, who has killed a nalgai with a bow?

It’s on my short list. Just about got things lined up. Need to talk gear such as arrow weight and broad heads. I’ll be cranked way up on draw weight but I don’t think my 340 9.3’s are gonna cut it. I’m a cut on contact guy so I’m not interested in mechanicals. Let’s discuss....

I haven’t got anything to add from experience but I would say a heavy arrow 475gr+ and a razor sharp 2 plate or 4 blade with bleeders will do the job just fine. Look at viper tricks, Magnus, or some of the higher end heads.

Anything used for elk or moose will probably work.

Comment

I have only killed one and it was with a rifle. .308 with 178 gr bullet. There is a reson people use large magnum caliber rifles for them. I wont hunt them with a 308 again even though he on went a few yards. He just soaked up that bullet.

Bow set up for me would be 550 gr or more and as much weight as I could pull and be accurate. 80# ish and for sure a GOOD solid cut on contact BH

Comment

I’ll be giving it a try in December.

Comment

I have killed two. One bull and one cow. Cow was with an old nap nitron head. That was a little 3 blade fixed head. On my bull I used a beeman 300 shaft with quick spin vanes and an old black Magnus two blade head with glue on adapter. I think that total arrow weight was around 500-525 grains. Complete pass through at 30 yards. Bull spun around a couple times and fell over. I would go arrow weight of 500-550 grain. I like a premium cut on contact head for these situations. I would put iron will, silver flame and vpa up at the top. If not going crazy on heads I would consider a slick trick vipertrick. They fly great and penetrate great. The vipers can bend. I would have no heartburn using a stout 3 blade head like an exodus of you have enough behind it. If it were me right now I would go a skinny type shaft with some sort of collar. Like an axis with an iron will collar or a goldtip pierce platinum in the 250 spine. That’s the ones I know the best.

Comment

Had to reply to say Not Me. Seen 2 of the monsters in South TX. Heard super hard armour. Hear they walk through fences. Even heard they walk on water???? Bazooka!

Comment

Big critter - thick tough hide. I have never killed one with a bow. Have watched two shot with a 7RUM with a Barnes Triple shock and both hung up in the opposite shoulder hide. Id shoot a GK or similar and an arrow north of 500 if my bow would shoot it well.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                I have killed two. One bull and one cow. Cow was with an old nap nitron head. That was a little 3 blade fixed head. On my bull I used a beeman 300 shaft with quick spin vanes and an old black Magnus two blade head with glue on adapter. I think that total arrow weight was around 500-525 grains. Complete pass through at 30 yards. Bull spun around a couple times and fell over. I would go arrow weight of 500-550 grain. I like a premium cut on contact head for these situations. I would put iron will, silver flame and vpa up at the top. If not going crazy on heads I would consider a slick trick vipertrick. They fly great and penetrate great. The vipers can bend. I would have no heartburn using a stout 3 blade head like an exodus of you have enough behind it. If it were me right now I would go a skinny type shaft with some sort of collar. Like an axis with an iron will collar or a goldtip pierce platinum in the 250 spine. That’s the ones I know the best.
                Doc what was your draw weight for those kills? Never killed one but passed on two shot opportunities last hunt at Laguna bc of distance and penetration worries. Had rage extreme heads then but ordered a set of kudu 100g heads yesterday. I’ll be trying those in a few weeks. 445 grain total weight with 70lb @29”.

Comment

The cow was a 70 lb old, old bow! I think it was my old golden eagle. I was in the brush rattling for whitetails and two cows walked by with one calf. The bull I shot was with an 80 lb bow tech tribute. With modern bows I think 70 lbs is plenty. Even 60-65 with a heavy arrow. Just look what guys are doing with Cape buffalo. I know of several killed with 50-60 lb compounds and 900+ grain arrows. My good friend just blew through a beast of a white bearded gnu on his ranch with 65kbs, an exodus, and a goldtip platinum pierce 300. Nilgai are a touch bigger and tougher but not a ton. Make sure you know where to aim!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    Doc what was your draw weight for those kills? Never killed one but passed on two shot opportunities last hunt at Laguna bc of distance and penetration worries. Had rage extreme heads then but ordered a set of kudu 100g heads yesterday. I’ll be trying those in a few weeks. 445 grain total weight with 70lb @29”.
                    Those are good heads! I might consider a 125 or 150 grain head in a single bevel but I think if you hit then right you are fine. I killed a yak(don’t ask) with a similar setup to you. Two arrows and both poked through the offside.

Comment

I killed a young bull with an old PSE at 65# draw weight. Used Beeman arrows and a spitfire broadhead. Shot it at 17 yds. I have wounded a couple also but it was total shooter error not my equipment.

Comment

I don’t know why you are worried about draw weight or arrow mass, just pull your face mask down. Your looks could kill a world class elephant, nilgai would be easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          I don’t know why you are worried about draw weight or arrow mass, just pull your face mask down. Your looks could kill a world class elephant, nilgai would be easy!

You sir.....can Suck it.....

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                            Those are good heads! I might consider a 125 or 150 grain head in a single bevel but I think if you hit then right you are fine. I killed a yak(don’t ask) with a similar setup to you. Two arrows and both poked through the offside.
                            Thanks for the replies Doc. I did consider the 125s but I’d have to adjust everything. Which ain’t hard so it’s not out of question yet.

Comment

Get a good heavy arrow and a good head like others mentioned above, or even a Magnus buzzcut or black hornet. If it was me I’d probably shoot one with a 200 gr redline Maasai from grizzly stick

Comment

Working...
                              X