Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeder Lighting for Wild Hogs - What’s the Best Method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Motion sensor activated don't work for my hogs. I have a large LED panel with a solar panel that has a photocell on it Comes on at dark and stays on about 8 hrs. Put it up and it took the hogs about 3 days/nights to get used to it. I can shoot 'em from 125 yds away with my .22-250 wearing a 3-9 Leupold that has a heavy duplex reticle.
    This. I have used the cheap ($20-$40) solar garden lights mounted on t posts with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
      Bought a solar flood light from Nortern tools,roughly$25. Painted the lenses with green stain glass paint from Hobby Lobby for $5. Mounted them onto a 2x6 18" long and used a ratchet strap to attach it to a tree 12' up. Worked great, never had any pigs get spooked.

I think this is a GREAT idea! Very cost effective, especially if you don’t want to make a big initial investment while you experiment and see what works with your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want a light that will light up your entire feed area and runs all night every night without dimming even if you have a week of cloudy weather, there is only one light and that is our Exterminator 2 feeder light. If you want to talk feeder lights, give me a call at 916-276-1385 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm as you probably won’t find anyone that knows more about feeder lights then I do.

Comment

gonehuntin68 has top quality lights and top quality service .
          I have had his lights in field for yrs and yrs and yrs without any issue.
          I have tried the other stuff too it just doesn't hold up or produce the lighting necessary for me to feel comfortable with making an accurate bow shot at night.

Comment

Since alot of time is spent at camp I put up a feeder about 110 yards away and installed a 120V line to it and have a dusk to dawn metal halide light mounted on the feeder. It's a hog killing mecca and well lit at night.
            Here's a trail cam pic of the light in action.

Comment

We've got an Elusive Wildlife Motion Sensor Kill Light (green LEDs) mounted under the control box on our camp feeder. It doesn't light up a big area, but it always comes on when there's a pig within 6-8 feet of it. We've killed many hogs under it in the last coupla years.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                If you want a light that will light up your entire feed area and runs all night every night without dimming even if you have a week of cloudy weather, there is only one light and that is our Exterminator 2 feeder light. If you want to talk feeder lights, give me a call at 916-276-1385 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm as you probably won’t find anyone that knows more about feeder lights then I do.

I was wondering when you would post Rob. No question, your Sniper lights are top notch. I will be calling you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                  We've got an Elusive Wildlife Motion Sensor Kill Light (green LEDs) mounted under the control box on our camp feeder. It doesn't light up a big area, but it always comes on when there's a pig within 6-8 feet of it. We've killed many hogs under it in the last coupla years.

That’s great. What mode are you running it in? I have mine set to be on at a dim level at dusk and when motion is detected it brightens to 100%. The brightening seems to spook my pigs so I’m not sure it’s going to work for me. It’s also not lasting very long on a charge. I’m only getting about 2 - 3 hours before it starts blinking and dies for the night.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    Motion sensor activated don't work for my hogs. I have a large LED panel with a solar panel that has a photocell on it Comes on at dark and stays on about 8 hrs. Put it up and it took the hogs about 3 days/nights to get used to it. I can shoot 'em from 125 yds away with my .22-250 wearing a 3-9 Leupold that has a heavy duplex reticle.

What color is your LED light?

Comment

I came across this article on red vs green lighting. The science seems to back up red lighting. Here’s the link:

This weeks blog will be exposing some of the hottest topics of night hunting: 1 - What is a night hunting light? 2 - Is a red or green light best for hog hunting? 3 - Is a red or green light best for predator hunting? 4 - Is a red or green light best for varmint hunting? This age old question has some of the strongest, most opinionated answers that vary from amateurs to professionals. Normally I would give a short answer to this question upfront but due to the continued controversy we receive from our friends, followers, customers and even family, the answer will come after the scientific facts are presented.  What is a Night Hunting Light? A night hunting light is a tool used to illuminate animals for harvest during a period of time between one hour after official sunset of a day and one hour before official sunrise of the following day.  Night hunting lights are commonly used for tracking, spotting, and harvesting hogs, varmints, and predators. The best night hunting lights are designed with the understanding of how the vision of these target species function. It is important to choose a night hunting light that is best suited for the species you are targeting. Science Behind Night Hunting Lights In humans, color blindness is the result of photopigment defects in three different types of cones that respond to blue, green, and red light. The most common color blindness is red-green, followed by blue-yellow, and the total absence of color vision - total color blindness - is extremely rare. Humans are very unique in this sense, we have trichromatic vision which means we have three pigment cones to blend colors together. Wild hogs, pigs, varmints, predators, and all other mammals have dichromatic vision which means they only have two pigment cones to blend colors together. Many other animals that are not mammals only have one pigment cone which means they see in black and white.  To further expand, hogs, varmints, and predators can see low wavelength light well (blue light), but as the wavelength increases they have a hard time visually processing the light. Hint: blue jeans stick out to deer and most other animals like a sore thumb!  The approximate wavelength at which these dichromatic vision mammals go color blind is in the range of 520 nm to 540 nm. This is the core of the

Comment

Get the green lights way brighter and still won't spook them. I checked the feeder west of the house last night with this at 530 yards... Pig was there but wouldn't sit still

led hunting lighting for hog and predator hunting, makers of the best hunting lights available the Kill Light®, XLR 100, XLR 252, XLR 250, HD Series, 250HD, 500HD, 750HD, Outfitter, Sportsman, piglet light, feeder lights, gun lights, bow lights, blood tracking lights, led lights, hunting

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          Get the green lights way brighter and still won't spook them. I checked the feeder west of the house last night with this at 530 yards... Pig was there but wouldn't sit still

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hun...der-light.html

How is it set up? Motion detection? Always on?

I have this same Sportsman kill light in red and I’ve found that my pigs don’t generally like the motion detection with the light coming on as they approach the feeder. It’s also rather dim for bow hunting and I need to still have a bow mounted flashlight to allow me to see the hog well enough to aim.

The green does illuminate better and I can see that color allowing better visibility from longer distances.

Comment

These are two outfitter feeder lights by elusive wildlife that will run all night.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
                              How is it set up? Motion detection? Always on?

I have this same Sportsman kill light in red and I’ve found that my pigs don’t generally like the motion detection with the light coming on as they approach the feeder. It’s also rather dim for bow hunting and I need to still have a bow mounted flashlight to allow me to see the hog well enough to aim.

The green does illuminate better and I can see that color allowing better visibility from longer distances.

I've got mine set on setting 4... Always on 10% brightens slowly to 100% when movement defected.

I've got it screwed into the south face of a big 1000 lb feeder about 7 foot off the ground

Green you can see WAAY better than red

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
                                I came across this article on red vs green lighting. The science seems to back up red lighting. Here’s the link:

This weeks blog will be exposing some of the hottest topics of night hunting: 1 - What is a night hunting light? 2 - Is a red or green light best for hog hunting? 3 - Is a red or green light best for predator hunting? 4 - Is a red or green light best for varmint hunting? This age old question has some of the strongest, most opinionated answers that vary from amateurs to professionals. Normally I would give a short answer to this question upfront but due to the continued controversy we receive from our friends, followers, customers and even family, the answer will come after the scientific facts are presented.  What is a Night Hunting Light? A night hunting light is a tool used to illuminate animals for harvest during a period of time between one hour after official sunset of a day and one hour before official sunrise of the following day.  Night hunting lights are commonly used for tracking, spotting, and harvesting hogs, varmints, and predators. The best night hunting lights are designed with the understanding of how the vision of these target species function. It is important to choose a night hunting light that is best suited for the species you are targeting. Science Behind Night Hunting Lights In humans, color blindness is the result of photopigment defects in three different types of cones that respond to blue, green, and red light. The most common color blindness is red-green, followed by blue-yellow, and the total absence of color vision - total color blindness - is extremely rare. Humans are very unique in this sense, we have trichromatic vision which means we have three pigment cones to blend colors together. Wild hogs, pigs, varmints, predators, and all other mammals have dichromatic vision which means they only have two pigment cones to blend colors together. Many other animals that are not mammals only have one pigment cone which means they see in black and white.  To further expand, hogs, varmints, and predators can see low wavelength light well (blue light), but as the wavelength increases they have a hard time visually processing the light. Hint: blue jeans stick out to deer and most other animals like a sore thumb!  The approximate wavelength at which these dichromatic vision mammals go color blind is in the range of 520 nm to 540 nm. This is the core of the

I call bs in them not being able to see it. You are adding light PERIOD... This will make shadows apear, reflections etc... They can absolutely see it if you have hunted them much with a light

I go green cause it spooks about the same, and I can see WSY WAY better in it. I can't kill it if I can't see it. I'll let them get used to it longer if I need to

Comment

Working...
                                X