Receiver Hitch Slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiver Hitch Slop

The ball mounts and the receiver hitch tube always have some clearance. On the UTVs sat the lease the hitch makes lots of noise as it pops back and forth when we pull trailers. Is there a good simple way to take up the slack? I have considered drilling some 1/2" holes in the top and side, welding a nut on and installing 1/2" bolts. Would rather not screw up the powder coating. Also considering driving aluminum shims in the gap with epoxy to hold them in place.

Any creative suggestions?

Put a few spot welds on the hitch(part that inserts into the receiver) then slowly grind a little off until you get a good fit.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This should help

Comment

I had to wrap the slide hitch with electrical tape. I got really tired of the crazy rattle on my 4 wheeler and ranger. that probly wont help with the back and forth movement, but it really helps with the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by tod View Post
          This is what I ended up with. They really work. The tradeoff is you have to slack it off every time you need to remove a ball mount. Small inconvenience to get rid of the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
            Put a few spot welds on the hitch(part that inserts into the receiver) then slowly grind a little off until you get a good fit.

The best way to do it.

Comment

I put a piece of inner tube in between mine on my truck. Took all the play out. Have to use a hammer to remove it though.

Comment

They make a hitch that has a threaded hole and instead of a pin, it uses a bolt. When you put the bolt in, it pulls the inner tube to one side and keeps it tight.

Comment

Originally posted by rkersh409 View Post
                  I put a piece of inner tube in between mine on my truck. Took all the play out. Have to use a hammer to remove it though.

Get one of these and you won't need to take it out. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819458.432176.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	24383039Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819469.571766.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24383040
                  I love it

Comment

See all those pins and moving parts? Those will eventually begin to wear and have slight wobble and slop if it gets used a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jwedel View Post
                      See all those pins and moving parts? Those will eventually begin to wear and have slight wobble and slop if it gets used a lot.
                      If you have it long enough not to get stolen.

Comment

+1 for spot welds. It's free and permanent.

Comment

I just drilled a hole in mine and welded a 3/8" nut on it. Then run a bolt up in it.
                          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Working...
                          X