Big Thicket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Thicket

Went to Big Thicket Visitor Center north of Kountze today to sign up for the Lance Rossier Unit.
    One big change:
    During the extended hog season in Jan and Feb, you can hunt in ANY of the Units. You are not limited to just the unit you registared in for deer hunting.
    This will let you do some scouting of other units during Jan and Feb.

Is the thicket "bow Only"?

Comment

I think a couple of the units are bow only or bow and shotgun only.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingershooter View Post
        no rifles. bow, compound, shotgun, or muzzleloader are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
          Went to Big Thicket Visitor Center north of Kountze today to sign up for the Lance Rossier Unit.
          One big change:
          During the extended hog season in Jan and Feb, you can hunt in ANY of the Units. You are not limited to just the unit you registared in for deer hunting.
          This will let you do some scouting of other units during Jan and Feb.
          Bill have you ever hunted the Beaumont unit ? Probably worth checkin out
          PM me if you ever want to look at it. You need a small aluminum boat to access it though.

Comment

Bill if you see a young man in a single cab grey dodge at Lance Rosier stop and say hello, I love it out there!

Comment

I've seen some huge bucks around big thicket.
              How do they get so big out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Fingershooter View Post
                No high-power rifles, no pistols.

I hunted the Lance Rossier unit from 1983 thru 1995.

Comment

got my permit for lance rossier unit and looking forward to learning the area this year.

Comment

Elf, I hunt down toward the cemetary. Tan Ford F150 with camper shell. Look for NASA blue meatball sticker.

Comment

Timemachine a park ranger told me now you can actually carry a pistol if you have you chl, mr decker I take a right where you go straight. good luck to everyone out there this year

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        Timemachine a park ranger told me now you can actually carry a pistol if you have you chl, .........r
                        While I'm sure they mean it is lawful to carry, did he confirm that you can ACTUALLY hunt with it???

Have fun out there and watch out for the locals!!

Comment

No I'm sorry I misunderstood, you can carry a sidearm but you can't hunt with it. Just rim fires shotguns bows and muzzle loaders are allowed for hunting. Did you have issues with the locals?

Comment

On a side note have any of you ever seen a rattlesnake out there? I've heard they released a bunch out there but I haven't seen any. I have seen more cotton mouths and copperheads than I could shake a stick at though

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                              No I'm sorry I misunderstood, you can carry a sidearm but you can't hunt with it. Just rim fires shotguns bows and muzzle loaders are allowed for hunting. Did you have issues with the locals?
                              In all the years there, I never had a problem. I did find a note on my vehicle two times about "mine, stay home, don't cross here" etc. I absolutely smashed Woodies near the beaver pond.

Comment

Working...
                              X