Up land bird hunting and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up land bird hunting and dogs

I have always wondered what game bird species the guys chase during hunting season here on TBH.

Growing up here in Dullstroom I was introduced to game birds and shotguns at an early age chasing Swainson's Spurfowl and Guineafowl on the farms.

My hunting partner joined me in January this year.

Ryker has grown up quickly and we worked hard in his 1st year to get the basics in place.

Our next winter season will kick-start his hunting career we mainly focus now on Redwing and Greywing francolin mixed with a few Guineafowl on the Escarpment of Mpumalanga.

He is a super busy body as a young German Shorthair Pointed and I believe he will only get busier luckily I have enough birds in the garden to keep him occupied this summer...

Man oh man that is a good looking dog.

Comment

Great looking GSP you got there! Congrats and best wishes for continued success with him!

Comment

We just got back from pheasant hunting in Iowa. My yellow lab points as well so it was fun watching her work.

Comment

Bird hunting is fun.

Bird hunting over a great dog is about the best fun you can have with your pants on.

I love hunting pheasant and quail and want to go on a grouse hunt soon.

Never thought about bird hunting in Africa. That makes me rethink coming there -are there places where you can pay a guide to hunt with dogs?

I’d love to see the plains/safari animals but for some reason I’m not really driven to hunt them - but I’d love hunting game birds in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
            Bird hunting is fun.

Bird hunting over a great dog is about the best fun you can have with your pants on.

I love hunting pheasant and quail and want to go on a grouse hunt soon.

Never thought about bird hunting in Africa. That makes me rethink coming there -are there places where you can pay a guide to hunt with dogs?

I’d love to see the plains/safari animals but for some reason I’m not really driven to hunt them - but I’d love hunting game birds in Africa.

StrayDog,

Please inbox me for more info.

We have a good verity of upland and water fowl available to hunt that will compare to some of the best wing-shooting in the world with regards to quality hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful dog!

My shorthair Pointer is 5 years old. I upland hunt for quail and she also recently took to being an excellent retriever for doves. This past weekend she actually retrieved 10 ducks for me!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BigRed323; 11-22-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Beautiful dog Bigred!

I am looking forward to next season and our hunting career to kick off.

How do you prepare the game birds for eating?

Comment

Mine loves hunting doves and duck. I would like to get her on the quail but our population at our ranch isn't sustainable. Duck hunting is hard because she is wound tighter than a fiddle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

BBD,

One thing I love about the GSP’s is those trophy photos where one can see how proud they are of the hunt results.

But they can also give you an nasty look if you miss a shot [emoji38]

You have a beauty as a hunting partner

Comment

Not much upland hunting but love chasing the ducks with my Chesapeakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                        BBD,

One thing I love about the GSP’s is those trophy photos where one can see how proud they are of the hunt results.

But they can also give you an nasty look if you miss a shot [emoji38]

You have a beauty as a hunting partner

Oh she can cut eyes with the best of them, especially during early dove season. She gets even more mad when you don't shoot at a bird that you never saw, but she did. I tell people when we are dove hunting to watch her, she pays more attention than we do.

Comment

Originally posted by BBD View Post
                          Oh she can cut eyes with the best of them, especially during early dove season. She gets even more mad when you don't shoot at a bird that you never saw, but she did. I tell people when we are dove hunting to watch her, she pays more attention than we do.

Oh and the whine... it's intense!!!!

Comment

One of Ryker pet peeves is the Mousebirds that come and sit in HIS apple tree....

He can stand there pointing / watching for hours ...

So I got the chance and nailed one of the buggers for him this morning.

He retrieved nicely to hand and looked very chuffed with himself....

Things I need to do during the summer season... lol

Comment

Love the dog pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X