East Texas feeder pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas feeder pen?

With a typical tripod feeder, how big (diameter) does it need to be, and what type of fence material? Do you use t-posts or actual wooden posts? Just trying to figure out what I need. I want to keep hogs out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I try to go as big as possible. T-posts and hog panel from TSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
      This

Comment

Yup, I’d say at least 10 panels. If you can go bigger, I’d do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post

This x2

Comment

I use the hog panels from Tractor Supply and only t-post. I like to use 14 panels for each pen, the bigger the better. I use galvanized wire to secure panels to t-post.

Comment

I would go big with a minimum of 12 16ft hog panels and use a T-Post at each end of the panels and one in the middle. I found the easiest way to build the pen is to lay down 6 panels in a straight line on each side of the feeder. Tie all the panels together over lapping one square. Then simply stand up each side and tie the two sides together. Then shape your pen and drive your T-Post in and tie panels to T-Posts. The bigger you make the pen, the more comfortable the deer will be getting into it.

Comment

Agreed with the bigger is better crowd. The size of the feedpen for me is aimed at the deer being comfortable instead of the spread of the feeder's corn.

Comment

Some of my sets won't allow for more than 8 panels and I have no problem with deer getting in and feeding in them. I cut my T posts off until they're even with the top of the fence when the anchor plate is buried. I've never had any pigs in the pens except those 2 pounders. Two weeks later they couldn't get in.

This pen hasn't had the T posts cut off yet
                  Attached Files

Comment

A guy on my lease has a couple feeders and neither are bigger than about 16 foot across.
                    When I did use a feeder I used trees for the post when possible

Comment

Not sure it's been mentioned yet, but put your t-post on the inside of your feed pen too.

Comment

Bigger the better always

Comment

I built a 12 panel pen. The short hog panels with short post. 6 months... zero deer

... now my super cheap BIL built one from 3 super bent up full height ones. Looked like a scrap metal hog trap that the feeder legs just barely fit in... 3 small bucks at one time in it. Lol. But they were the only deer that ever entered it

Comment

I built one with what I had handy at the time. Believe it's 5 panels. I have had 8 bucks in it at once. I do plan to double the size this off season just on this one pen. Hogs don't bother me as they eat good as well! I will only have one feed station though that is penned.

My bucks hit it hard from June to October then nothing! Doe occasionally hit it now. Hunt over it rarely but it is a good feed station to keep them around.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have had my best luck in east Tx with feeder pens when I build one I leave a couple of the panels out so deer walk in after a few weeks I close them up. I usually build them in the winter when they are looking for food. Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X